What breed should I add in w/ 4 RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4CrazyEggs, Apr 4, 2012.

1. 4CrazyEggs

4CrazyEggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I have 4 RIR pullets almost 4 weeks. We often let them frolic in the run during the warm part of the day and back in the brooder they go at night.

We would like to ad one or two more. I recently heard that RIRs are more agressive and often don't play well with others. Is this what you have found in your experience? Is there a good way to introduce them?

My wife likes Barred Rocks and I like the EEs. My four kids ages 3-10 love anything. We all love eggs! We are first time chicken owners.

Any other suggestions for a breed good for CO that is cold hardy, has a good temperment, and is a good layer?

Thanks!

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    First of all you want the chicks to be the same age. You could add something from the American Class (The class of all "American" breeds)
    Like, Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks, Dominique's, (Maybe not Jersey Giants...they aren't as fast and RIR's are fast and could sit on them) just keep a good eye on them, when we got Dorkings for my sister and JG's for myself and put them together, the Dorkings would sit on the Jersey Giants, causing internal injury. I hope you find something good !

3. 4CrazyEggs

4CrazyEggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks we ended up going with two Barred Rocks and they seem to get along well. Are JGs good layers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by