~What Breed should I Buy~

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenlovefever, Sep 24, 2011.

1. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I am going to fix up our barn, and we will have 3 different "Coops". I have been wanting to breed forever, and I am ordering some lavender orpington chicks about next month. I can get two other breeds. But I am going to breed and SELL, so I am really looking for rare breeds, and I am not going to ship, I will have to go pick up the chicks, I live in VIRGINIA. I had a list that I eventtually narrowed down.
    I am looking for heavy breed birds, with rare varieties. I need something slightly simple, that I won't have to work with to strive for the same color every year, because I have read that the Lav Orps you have to have so much tied in with them. So I need rare color breeds. No bantams.
    This was my list so far, Not sure if anyone in VA has any of them, though:
    Golden Laced Orpingtons
    Jubilee Orpingtons
    Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons
    Mille Fleur Cochins
    Lemon Blue Cochins
    Dun Laced Wyandottes
    Buff Laced Wyandottes
    Wheaten Marans

Can Someone please give me some pointers from my list and add a few breeds, or tell me what you breed?
    Thankyou.

2. chooksandeggs-Aus

chooksandeggs-Aus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi chickenlovefever;
    I have read a lot of the U.S. forums and have never read of anyone breeding the very rare Gold Legbars.
    They were first developed in the 1930's, along with Cambars and Cream Legbars, by Reginald Punnett as a true autosexing pure breed.
    Autosexing allows you to sex the chickens by sight just after hatching and was developed to allow commercial producers to cull males at the earliest opportunity.

To develop them all you need are some Brown Leghorns including a rooster and some Dark Barred Plymouth Rock pullets.
    A full profile and all the information you will need including the exact formula is here: http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7967614
    This
    was put together by Nick Mezin who'se line of birds I purchased.

Once you develop the line you can breed up your female flock and/or infuse new blood by putting a Gold Legbar rooster with your Brown Leghorn pullets. All your female offspring from this cross will be Gold Legbars and will carry all the traits.
    I am in the process of this and will breed these pullets back to another Gold Legbar rooster.
    When choosing your DB Plymouth Rock females get the heaviest utility type birds you can find.

As far as value goes the Gold Legbars are a good investment. Having seen the prices asked for Cream Legbars in the U.S. Golds could well be a Great investment.
    Here in Australia I sell adult birds for Au$60 each, chickens at under 5 weeks $20 each, chickens 5 to 15 weeks $40 each and fertile eggs $50 to $120 (depending on who's buying).
    Roosters should really be worth more. With a rooster and some Brown Leghorn pullets you cam make more Gold Legbars.
    I have found that a Gold Legbar rooster crossed with most other breeds and crossbreeds will give chickens that, while they're not autosexing, can be easily sexed visually just after hatching.

If I can be of any assistance please contact me.
    Best regards.
    Rob.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Oh please. Don't give me that list and expect me to pick! [​IMG]

4. luvmygoats

luvmygoats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Lubec, Maine
    My favorites have always been the Orpingtons. I would say either Jubilee or Chocolate. Another avenue you should look into is selling hatching eggs. You can make a nice profit, and also share your breeding with people all over the country.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if those breed u like i try to find them im ur area sence u wount ship

6. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    I have a Gold Legbar, and I am in the USA. Mine is NOT from the heritage line created in the UK in the 1930, but rather a line that was created int he USA from the same breeds as the original line. The line i got my Gold Legbar from is about six years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by