What breed should I get? HELP! Can't decide!

muslw4

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Northern Illinois
I've decided I want to get into ducks. The trouble is I can't decide which breed!
I think I've narrowed it down to 4 breeds. Blue Swedish, Rouen, Cayuga, Welsh Harlequin. I was thinking of just 4 but then maybe 6. Just 1 drake though. Which breed has the most strikeing drake? Would they be ok in a mix of the breeds? I've never had my own ducks but my mother has had pekin and call ducks. I live on a farm and have plenty of room. I was thinking of getting either a calf hutch or building something like that for shelter. Would it need a floor? I could put straw around it for extra insulation in winter. They would be in a fenced area in the horse pasture. There is 3 fences surrounding the area including an electric fence. I am concerned about hawks and owls. My mother has lost some ducks to them in the past. So, I do want to lock them up at night. I was thinking of a kiddie pool for summer but not sure for winter. Maybe a metal water trough with a heater. I live in Northern IL where we do get pretty cold weather. Do they need a place to swim or would a large metal bucket be enough for winter? Any suggestions, comments, or advice on the breeds or shelter or pools is most welcome.

Thanks so much!

Quote:
We have all the breeds you mentioned. Each one is striking in its own way. Personally, I would go with the Blue Swedish, Cayuga, or Welsh Harlequin.

HARLEQUIN!!!! Sorry for the over enthusiasum there but I've fallen in love with this breed. They are very sweet birds and the males take your breath away. I have three and they are a constant joy. I don't know anything about cross breeding but I do know the harlequin in general is supposed to be a dosile and inquizative breed. That is what drew me to them and mine seem to fit that bill (if only mildly) They are a little loud so if you have neighbors that don't appretiate the lovely sound of an... enthusiastic female because one of my females is very loud. Of course I like it and I've encouraged it by talking back and giving treats so now they all scream when they hear voices. Very very nice birds. My favorite duck breed that I've been around but really I haven't had much experiance with anything other than a few baby calls... and they were too flighty to me. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=Welsh+Harlequin#/d3ic3ji That is my male and female while younger. http://mare-and-bear.deviantart.com...2195704?q=boost:popular Welsh Harlequin&qo=12 there is another one of my female and lastly here is my wonderful male all grown up http://mare-and-bear.deviantart.com/#/d422fex Captain Jack Sparrow! XD Yes they are wonderful! Definantly the welsh harlequin

If I were choosing out of them, I'd go for a Cayuga drake. Then why not get one female of each of the other breeds! If that's not possible order-wise, I'd go for Cayuga Drake and Welsh Harlequin ducks, they're gorgeous! In my opinion, the females more so than the males, hence the Cayuga drake choice instead of a Harlequin drake
smile.png
If you're not bothered about a mixed breed flock, one of each would be great because as Eroc1_1 says, they are each lovely in their own ways and are very different!

Last edited:
Thanks,

I'm definitely going to have to get some Harlequins. I like the thought of a calm inquisitive duck. I do have neighbors but they will have to deal with the quaks! My parents live next door and my mother has guineas and ducks can't possibly be that bad. the other neighbors across the street are hardly ever home. I think my mom's call ducks are cute but yes they are flighty. I miss her pekin she had years ago. when I did chores over there she followed me around talking all the while. I just want to get something more colorful than a pekin. So might start with harlequins and blue swedish. I have a feeling more will come eventually. There's a poultry swap coming up near here in Sept. I might get some if they have them there or just have to wait till spring and order them through the mail. Would babies have time to grow their adult feathering in by winter if they were babies in Sept? I'm worried about them being warm enough with just a calf hutch or dog house for shelter.

and now I'm thinking a pekin would be nice just of their personalities. I miss Aflac my mom's Pekin she lost several years ago. And I was looking at the Buff ducks last night. has anyone had experience with them? Buff orpington chickens are one of my favorites and now I see buff ducks!

Back
Top Bottom