What breed should I get next?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by willowbranchfarm, Oct 5, 2011.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    So I am planning on getting more chickens. What breeds should I get? I have Silver Laced Wyandottes Black Australorps and Buff Orpington. I like Silkies and Dutch Bantams. Any chickens You really like?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You should get some Easter Eggers. Throw some color in the egg basket.

And French Marans. Try looking around for people selling "Black Copper" or "Wheaten" colored Marans, they are beautiful, huge birds with a very calm temperament and lay gorgeous deep reddish brown eggs.

3. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I like those too.Thanks

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing more fun to watch in your yard than silkies! [​IMG]

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I should totaly get a silkie lol

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    My current flock (first chickens in 15 years, but got my first chickens about 35 years ago) is a totally mixed batch of hatchery chicks from the feed store. One pullet of each of 12 breeds, plus the two cockerels that showed up in the pullet chicks. They haven't even started to lay yet, they just turned 19 weeks.

Well I should have known myself better. We've already started to design the second (and third) coop/run. I've already got the chicken itch (no salve to cure that) and I want a small (yeah right) group of exhibition line birds.

I plan to populate the new runs with silver lakenvelder & golden campine. Beautiful birds!

Deb

7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I will check those breeds out. yeah once you get into chickens theres no turning back:)

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have had a variety of chcikens for 40 years. Got my first silkies 7 months ago. I had no idea what I was missing. They put a smile on my face every time I see them! [​IMG]

9. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm so getting one

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I always have a Silkie or two. The 4H kids like them, and they are so broody, they take some of the work of incubating and raising chicks away from me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by