What breed should I get to make sex-links??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JLS, Jan 15, 2011.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I want to get a cockerel this spring in the hopes of producing my own sex-links when he matures. These are the breeds I currently have for hens:

Buff Orpington
    RIR/Buff Orp cross
    Silverlaced Wyandotte
    Easter Egger
    Faverolle
    Blue Silkie

What breed of cockerel should I get? Some requirments: must be winter hardy (the smaller the comb the better) and can toterate being contained if nessesary [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Of the breeds you listed, the Silver Laced Wyandottes are the only ones that can be used to make sexlinks. There are lots of rooster breeds you could use, you just need one that is pure gold gened.
    So you could use a Buff Orp, RIR, New Hamp. Buff, GL, or BLR Wyandotte, or any of these types of breeds that are pure gold gened.

This is a sexlink pullet from a Buff Orp roo on SLW hens.
    [​IMG]

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    so I could get a golden laced or blue laced red wyandotte? This would still make a sex-link?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yes you could use a Golden Laced or Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and you can also use a Partridge Wyandotte. (if you want to stay with the Wyandotte breed)

Chris

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Here's a few more cold-hardy breeds that can make Sexlinks with your SLWs! [​IMG]

Buff Brahma
    Red Chantecler
    Buff Chantecler
    Partridge Chantecler

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep, and also Buckeyes could go into that pea combed catagory.

And yes, if you wanted to stay with the Wyandotte breed like Chris said, the GL, BLR, and Partridge males would work.

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You could also use a barred cock, as long as he's homozygous for barring. His pullet offspring should have the headspot indicating barring, and his boy children should not.

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    That would not work, a barred hen with a solid colored roo will make black Sexlinks, but a barred roo with a non barred hen would be all barred chicks.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No That does not make Sexlinks. A homozygous barred roo makes ALL barred offspring. A heterozygous barred roo produces 50% Barred offspring with a non barred hen and 75% barred offspring with a barred hen.

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You're right; I was thinking recessive. I have sexlink chocolate on the brain. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by