What breed should I get?

Curlymg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Rio Rico, Arizona
I've had chickens for a few years, and I'd always get them when they were already over 4 months old & I never knew what breed. They were kept confined since they were so flighty and I could never risk free-ranging them. Just recently I went to friend's house and she had a few Buff Orpingtons who would follow her, allow themselves to be picked up and I was amazed. I was about to give up on owning chickens before seeing this, but I have a coop & run my boyfriend recently built for me, why not give it another shot? I would really appreciate some breed suggestions that are very similar to Buff Orpingtons. They have to do well in both the heat and cold (Temperature ranges from 25-106 degrees fahrenheit here) and be friendly/docile. Size does not matter, I'd prefer no red chickens like Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire etc, and no fluffy breeds (I had a Polish rooster that was always bullied because of his top-head feathers). I'd prefer broody breeds but it's not a must. Lastly, I don't care about how often they lay eggs. Honestly though, whenever my local feed store has Buff Orpingtons I'm immediately going to get a few chicks! Until then, please list some other nice breeds! Thanks :)

Last edited:
There are lots of really nice breeds but it's important to consider your climate when selecting breeds. There's a great breed selector tool at MyPetChicken.com and it will give you information about personality, rate of egg laying, egg color and lots more. I live in New England and some of my favorite, docile breeds are: Ameraucanas, Plymouth Rocks, Australorps, Speckled Sussex and Easter Eggers. You can't go wrong with an Easter Egger. Best wishes and enjoy your new chickens!

I've had chickens for a few years, and I'd always get them when they were already over 4 months old & I never knew what breed. They were kept confined since they were so flighty and I could never risk free-ranging them. Just recently I went to friend's house and she had a few Buff Orpingtons who would follow her, allow themselves to be picked up and I was amazed. I was about to give up on owning chickens before seeing this, but I have a coop & run my boyfriend recently built for me, why not give it another shot? I would really appreciate some breed suggestions that are very similar to Buff Orpingtons. They have to do well in both the heat and cold (Temperature ranges from 25-106 degrees fahrenheit here) and friendly/docile. Size does not matter, I'd prefer no red chickens like Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire etc, and no fluffy breeds (I had a Polish rooster that was always bullied because of his top-head feathers). Honestly though, whenever my local feed store has Buff Orpingtons I'm immediately going to get some! Until then, please list some other nice breeds! :)

I believe that there is a list on this site about the most popular breeds. If your going to have a rooster and letting the hen hatch the eggs , I think the Orpingtons would do well for you.I have some of those, along with Plymouth rock and australorps, and they do quite well as a flock.

i chose buff orpington, black australorp, barred rock, & silver laced wyandotte because they were heavy breeds, supposed to be gentle/friendly. supposedly they would also be able to handle Texas weather. i wanted brown eggs & big enough for meat if i so chose.
i had four buff orp. 3 were killed by my dog. the remaining one is the one that was not friendly. she's very stand offish. the other remaining birds, one of each breed are more friendly than my buff.

Australorps, Barred Rocks, Dominiques, Light Brahma & Plymouth Rocks all interest me. And I would like to let the hen hatch eggs, not until I have a bigger coop though. Any information/comments on the breeds I listed would be appreciated!

Barred rocks are such sweet chickens. Mine has never been afraid of me, and let me pick her up as a chick from day one. She is about 8 weeks old now and will leave the flock to hang out with me. I call her mammas because she is so sweet and nurturing. I also have a dominique. She is also a nice, friendly girl that has never feared people handling her. She doesn't like me as much as my Barred rock does though. Both will follow me around while I garden and work in the yard.

My buff orp and barred rock are sweet as honey. They are about 5 weeks old and will now jump out of their brooder and wander the house to find someone. Before, they would jump to the edge of their brooder box whenever we were near as if to invite us to hold them. Sweet as can be!!!!!

Definitely waiting for some Buff Orpingtons. Should I have a mixed flock? If I do, I don't want a rooster. And would it cause a problem if I get, lets say a week old Buff and a 2-3 week old Barred Rock? I'm planning to have at least 5 chicks, so more specific 3 week old Buff's with 2 significantly older Barred Rocks? I hope my question is clear!

Im getting some Araucanas and Americanas. look them up. they lay those wonderfully colored eggs, are docile and friendy, and lay a good amount too. i believe that they are good in the cold, i don't know about the heat but i would look it up
smile.png
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom