What breed? Sussex X ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tina holmberg, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tina holmberg

tina holmberg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    I ordered some Light Sussex chickens, dayold, from a private person. But When I picked them up, she told me, that she couldn't provide herself, so she had bourght the eggs from a friend. This friend had both Light Sussex and some red hens, but she didn't no what breed the red ones are.

So could anyone help me out?
    They are 10 days on the picture. The pure Sussex has light legs, the others have a little bit more yellow legs. What breed could the red hens be?

[​IMG]

Out of the 20 chickens i bought, there was 1 black, the only one with black legs, and a little yellow on the toes. What breed could this be?

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    The black one is a Barred Rock.

3. tina holmberg

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks for a qucik repley, but if it's a Barred Rock, shoulden't it have alle yellow legs?
    This one has black legs, and the toes are a bit yellow

4. Bluegem

Bluegem Out Of The Brooder

I have some red chicks like that which I think are sussex x rhode island red. Is it also possible that the black and yellow one could be an australorp it looks a lot like my Mums little chicks.

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    could the black one be an australorp? The little red one looks a lot like my RIR did... maybe a cross?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:The thing that happen with Barred Rocks is that when they were little they had black legs too. They just grow out of it. And I heard that the hens have more black on their legs then the roosters. And she has a lot of black on her legs.

7. tina holmberg

Sep 9, 2009
    I just went out, to take some more pictures of the red ones.
    They are now 4½ week, here is one of the most red ones

[​IMG]

And a more light red, with a clear mix with the Light Sussex

[​IMG]

8. tina holmberg

Sep 9, 2009
    And here comes the black one, also 4½ weeks.
    Fist picture shows the fethering. I don't think it looks barred, but black.

[​IMG]

And a picture of the legs of the black one
    [​IMG]

9. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would say rir for the red, black australorp for the black and then you know the other one. [​IMG]

eta: just a thought on the cross... light sussex don't have speckles so do you think perhaps you actually have a different cross? Speckled sussex don't develop their 'speckles' that early either. Whatever it is I think she/he will be pretty!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    The red ones do look like RIR crosses. The black one however is not a Barred Rock. Barred rocks legs are yellow as the OP said at hatch. Yes, they may have some dark down the front, but they should be yellow. The black bird looks to be a black australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by