What Breed To Buy!!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Chiko, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Spring is almost here and I'm making my list for chicks to buy and we are planning on buying 2 goslings but dont know what breed to get:(... We have thought about Embdens but dont know the temper:/ Can anyone give me some Ideas on what breed or gender to buy thank you so much![​IMG]

2. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard that sebastopol geese are very good geese to raise and they are very pretty to have around

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    We've had many different breeds of geese. My personal favorite is Canada geese but . . . I believe our embdens were a little mean. We had an African once that was the friendliest thing until one day he just started attacking everyone. My mother actually has 2 male white Chinese geese and they are very nice birds. They are a little ugly with the bump on their beak, but if I wanted to have geese around I would probably get Chinese.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I am partial to Toulouse myself...of course that is all I have ever had! [​IMG] THey can be really friendly but my original one bonded to me and didnt care for my DH at all! Now that I have a bunch of them they pretty much keep to themselves...they are excellent breeders and Mothers! Terri O

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Also look into American Buff they are suppose to be very friendly and laid back,[​IMG] Look into LundPoultry.com

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Toulouse, dewlap toulouse. Any breed of goose can get more aggressive during breeding season, it's the nature of the beast. They have strong protective instincts for their nest/young.

7. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    I have 30 geese (6 breeds). My Africans are always the first to greet us and want to be petted. The others do not get close enough to be petted. They are not breeding yet so nobody has been mean.

8. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

The Sebastopol are kind of pricey put beautiful

9. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    My two cents is to go with the sebastopols [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I thought you would like a couple pictures... to help lure you in. [​IMG]

10. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I have raised all the geese recognized by the APA. Rule of thumb is: the smaller the goose, the more likely they will be aggressive. There are exceptions and that is why going by breed only can get you in trouble. As an example....my Sebastopols are mean, many other strains are not mean. The one goose that I would be comfortable recommending is the dewlap toulouse goose. If it is the real thing, it will be mellow and if it happens to be aggressive, the keel on the ground will prevent it from chasing anyone. They are hard to find and expensive though. It is best to ask the seller about their disposition and hope they tell you the truth.

Walt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by