What Breed to Choose

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenman11798, Feb 11, 2012.

1. chickenman11798

chickenman11798 New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Hello, I've been wanting to get some more chickens and kinda stuck on what to choose i was possibly thinking of going with some Buff Orpingtons, Dominiques, Black Australorp, or Rhode Island Reds can't seem to decide wanted to see what you guys thought! Sinceley, chickenman11798

2. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    What do you want them for? Eggs, meat, pets, etc.

3. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    I like all those breeds personaly i think the reds would probably lay the most of those then the black austrolops .. but all beautiful birds..happy hunting..

4. chickenman11798

chickenman11798 New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    I want them for eggs.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Rhode Island Reds are the best brown-egg layers. Australorps are not far behind as far as egg laying goes.

Australorps are said to be generally friendlier than Rhode Island Reds, but Australorps will sometimes go broody and try to hatch eggs. Rhode Island Reds rarely go broody.

Here is a resource of information I put together.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    What breeds do you have already? I have some brown egg layers and white layers. So this spring I'm getting some Easter eggers and dark brown layers (black copper marans and welsummers). They are late to mature so I bought a couple red stars. My (hatchery stock) dominiques are great girls, but lay a medium sized egg. I may try some australorps, buckeyes, and chanteclers next batch.

7. chickenman11798

chickenman11798 New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    2 Opringtons

8. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    It sounds as if you are adding new pullets to an already established flock. In that case I'd stay away from the RIRs, Wyandottes and Barred Rocks. All are great foragers and layers, but they tend to be dominant. I've had a small mixed flock for many years, and I've seen their bossiness first hand! The sex-links are a good option, both for superb egg-laying and moderate personalities, and they don't go broody like the Orps do. Whatever you do, make sure the new chickens are fully feathered out and mature before adding them to the mix. I have a FAQ about adding new chickens here:
    http://www.hencam.com/henblog/introducing-new-hens/

9. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    The sexlinks are great for laying chickens. 100% pullets if that's what you order, the best brown egg layers. Out of the two kinds I've had, the black star was a bit aggressive, but full of spunk and personality. The red stars were sweet, and both were good foragers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by