What breed to get next?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gdhp, Aug 22, 2011.

1. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    This dream is a little while off. Currently sourcing more land for my little duck kingdom.

We currently have 5 ducks (all of crazy non descript breed), we're looking into adopting a local cayuga as well. However hopefully we might soon have some land. The dream is to reach the ten duck mark and then I will stop.

So that means another four ducks.

Choosing breeds carefully, it would be nice to have some amazing ducks to complete my collection. I was wondering what breeds people recommend.

Scoring system is based on following factors, less important first.

- Quiet and good egg layer (even if they are not I will have to lie and say this to my parents to get them)
    - Friendly and fairly domesticated (not going to fly away, don't mind being handled)
    - Look really awesome (odd looking / unusual breeds are cool)

Obviously I'm aware that I'll probably have to compromise on that list. But what do people recommend? I've been eyeing up some crested ducks, as they look pretty cool. From internet searches I also love the look of whistling ducks, but I'm not sure if you can have them as pets at all.

Anyway, please give advice. What ducks should I get?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Muscovy!!! They meet your criteria. Quiet, friendly, and they are unusual looking.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Anconas! They are reportedly outstanding layers, a large heavy bird that can't fly off, supposedly very calm, and most definitely outlandishly gorgeous. They come in a variety of colors, which are always broken by lots of random white (or the color breaks up the white, depending on the bird).

I don't know about noise level, but they're never listed among the louder breeds, so I don't think they're worse than other mallard-derivatives (though you can't beat muscovies for quiet).

Good luck!

(Oh, magpies are nice too, but mine haven't been laying all summer even though they're only a year old, so I'm a little fed up with them right now... but they're calm and gorgeous too... and if you want some and can come to Charlotte NC for them, well, I'll sell ya a few, lol).

4. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I second Anconas, though I hesitate to add my two cents in since I haven't gotten my shipment yet. Everything I have read about Anconas is positive. Noise level, not sure, but have never heard of them being loud. Hopefully some owners can chime in here.

I also just got a Buff that I am totally in love with. She is not loud, though she makes lots of noise. When she eats, when she preens, when she is swimming....she just makes this wonderful little noise. Not loud, though. In addition, she is absolutely gorgeous.

I have three Cayugas (about 7 weeks old) and I am totally in love with them. They don't seem to be very loud, but they are still young, so who knows.

I have mallards, and my girl is pretty loud. Not loud enough to wake the neighbors, but she is definitely not a quiet one.

I had three Pekins.....now, THOSE are some loud ducks. Fun, though.

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I vote Anconas also.

I have 5. They are quiet, calm, very sweet, don't fly, mine aren't laying yet but my friend has been raising them for 2 years & they are her best layers (she has 6 varieties & Anconas are her favorites too) and this year hatched & raised their own clutch.

They are all different patterns, making it easy to pick individuals out of the flock. And you have the added benefit of helping a wonderful breed that is critically endangered.

As a side note, mine are wonderful foragers but stay VERY close to their pen. Highly recommended.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I love Mandarins [​IMG] ... they probably don't fit into your criteria.. but they are absolutely adorable (and hard to find)

for "regular" ducks.. muscovy are unusual looking.. though some people have had issues with them flying.. something i never had a problem with in mine cause they were always too fat..

I also recommend mallards and cayugas (which I see you are looking into getting one ).. lol.. gotta love those black cayuga eggs ... mine have gotten a lot lighter as they have gotten older.. now I rarely get a really dark egg...

7. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Pekins they are awsome lay 200 plus very very friendly can not fly live 7 -8 years unless you want to eat .

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I love my Muscovy ducks. [​IMG]

9. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    Quote:I'd love some mandarins. They look awesome. Do you have any? How are they as pets?

Ancona's look really good too. Oddly enough not so keen on Muscovys.

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'd love some mandarins. They look awesome. Do you have any? How are they as pets?

Ancona's look really good too. Oddly enough not so keen on Muscovys.

I had mandarins YEARS ago... wish i still had them.. kept mine in large hutches in a little oriental garden we had.. used to let them out to swim in the little garden pond (we clipped their wings)... mine were handled from day 1.. so they didnt really think they were "ducks".. i honestly believe they thought they were puppies.. lol... i would love to get them again.. but cant find anyone local with any... so my search goes on

i'll get more one day... hopefully

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by