what breed/type of cochin is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mocat chickens, Jun 24, 2011.

1. mocat chickens

mocat chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saved him from the stew pot, and my daughter wants to show him, But we have never seen on this color, need to be correct when we write it down for 4H. Thanks in advance!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Not sure what the color would be called. It's not a standard Cochin color, but that's probably ok for 4H.

Edited b/c it's too late at night and I'm a ditz. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    not sure on color.. but he sure is handsome [​IMG]

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It might be partridge -- I had a baby partridge who looked like he would end up this color. Being a boy, I had to re-home him. He ended up with three silky hens -- hope he's happy. Yours is really beautiful!!!! I could gaze at him all day.

Who would put this guy in a stew pot? He's stunning!! How old is he?

In the Chicken Breed Sub-Index, the hen listed as a partridge is no more partridge than I am. It looks like golden laced.

There is a Partridge Dorking under Breeds.

Jenny

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. mocat chickens

mocat chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I could not tell you the age, by his spurs I'd guess 3 or older. I will get better pictures tomorrow as he was really scared. He sure struts, And loves to be held. My daughter wouldnt even look at the hens that came with him, just sat there stroking his hackles. He is a looker, thanks for the help.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    He looks like a Gold Laced Cochin project bird. Project bird meaning someone is working on making a gold laced variety of Cochin and he's a cull and not the final result.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:That doesn't make sense. Why would anyone try to make a variety that already exists????

He looks like a partridge Cochin roo to me. A very pretty roo. My daughter has one but he can't be shown because his comb got frostbit this past winter.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:That doesn't make sense. Why would anyone try to make a variety that already exists????

He looks like a partridge Cochin roo to me. A very pretty roo. My daughter has one but he can't be shown because his comb got frostbit this past winter.

Gold Laced Cochins are not official yet. Yes there are already other Gold Laced breeds such as the Wyandotte, but they are trying to make a variety of Cochin that is Gold Laced.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Gold Laced Cochins are not official yet. Yes there are already other Gold Laced breeds such as the Wyandotte, but they are trying to make a variety of Cochin that is Gold Laced.

Gold Laced Cochins are not official yet.

They are official they were interned into the American Standard in 1965.

Chris​

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:He's not a Partridge Cochin.
    If you look at his breast you can see Lacing. Male Partridge pattern fowl should not have that.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by