what breed was my mom's pet rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyLuck, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    and to make this quiz extra tough, no pictures!

Years ago we had some "rescued" egg farm hens that we brought back to health (they had about five feathers each, didn't know how to eat from the ground or drink from an open waterer) and so once we had chickens, people started bringing us random poultry. One on particular was a gigantic rooster.

He was huge, easily 2x as tall as our "regular" size hens (not sure what breed they were, solid white, had been used in egg production). He was black, but his feathers were irridescent and shone green in the sun. He had feathers all up and down his legs. He was as gentle as a puppy and followed my mom around like a dog. Would come to her too, But would defend his ladies to the death (and in fact he did[​IMG] ).

Just for curiosity's sake, does this description ring a bell for anyone? I would look for chicken images but I'm not even sure what breeds to start looking at.

Thanks.

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe a cochin?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the white egg hens were probley leg horns as for the rooster sounds like a cochin...what type of comb did he have?

4. LadyLuck

Mar 15, 2012
    Yes, I googled pictures of cochin roosters and they look very familiar. I honestly can't remember his comb. Just that he was SO big.

5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You might look up langstan roosters?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah I'm thinking Langshan. There's a difference between describing big and TALL, and big and fluffy/round.

7. LadyLuck

Mar 15, 2012
    yes, big as in TALL. I will go look that breed up.

although, he was solid too. Honestly, it's been so long, but I remember you could look out and across the back (easily 80 -100yards) and there was a black lump that would look like a dog, just solid from the ground up, not "floating" like the other birds where you could see their body but not their legs from that distance.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by