What breed was the father?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Corona Ranch, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Corona Ranch

Corona Ranch Just Hatched

Jun 30, 2016
    Hey ya'll!

I hope one of you can help me identify what 4 of my chickens have been mixed with.
    I believe the mother hen to be a production red, as she was a gift from a school teacher and did not tell what breed she was. The father is our neighbor's rooster that has since been culled(they did not contain him in their yard and other neighbors were complaining about the rooster and his girls ruining gardens). I didn't really get a good look at the father rooster but I have suspicions that he had Black Copper Maran in him because the dominant rooster that I have closely resembles a Maran. I had a total of 4 chicks hatch from the neighbor's stray rooster last August: 2 cockerels and 2 pullets.

Mother hen

[​IMG]

2 cockerels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 pullets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Either rooster could be the father, really. That second pullet did not have that hen for a mother, though.

3. Corona Ranch

Jun 30, 2016
    The 2 roosters above are brothers.
    I only had one laying hen at the time (the rest of my chickens were only 3 months old). So unless the neighbor's had a second rooster? But that hen is definitely the mother.

4. Corona Ranch

Jun 30, 2016
    I've been dying to figure out what breed their father was lol.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Crests are a dominant trait, so one parent must have been crested.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your momma hen looks like a new Hampshire.

There were different fathers, or the single father was a mix of mixes, with some weird genetics there.

I don't see Marans at all. They have white skin and a different body shape. Yes, the color kinda-sorta resembles a black copper, but it's also what you get when you cross red birds with black birds a lot. So, the father had some black....that doesn't narrow things down much, does it?

Seeing the offspring, I'm thinking the rooster was mainly red. That last pullet has a partial crest, so her father had to have a crest also. Looks like a funky comb, so my thought is the rooster there had some Polish in the mix, but probably not a first generation.

Sorry, there really aren't any strong breed indicators to jump out and identify the breeding. Just good ol barnyard mixes, nice backyard birds.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. Corona Ranch

Jun 30, 2016

Yea, i have another mix from the neighbors rooster ands she's funky looking too lol.

The reason i got to thinking he was part maran was because one of the 2 pullets just began laying and i recently started getting these darker eggs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nice! My thought would be Welsummer, with those classic yellow legs.

Always nice to have variety, right?

10. Corona Ranch

Jun 30, 2016

Oh yes! I love my mixed flock! So many personalities and egg colors! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by