What breed was this guy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Orcae, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

He fathered all of the clutches we've had, we were told by one person he was a RIR and another that he was some kind of sussex.

2. jasmtnljj

jasmtnljj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    I had one like him once but i dont remember for sure. Have you looked up Welsummer roosters?

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Not a Sussex. I would guess New Hampshire? Maybe? [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I do think he looks like a Welsummer rooster. I can't tell if he has white skin or yellow skin on his legs....Welsummer should be yellow, I think....

He's a handsome guy!

5. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    He does look like a Welsummer to me, but the pics in Google show a lighter bodied rooster than he was. He was huge and he was very heavy - it knocked you forward quite a bit when he ran up behind you and attacked you. Maybe he was just bigger than usual?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    He could be a Marans, maybe black copper, but I don't see any feathering on the legs. Marans are definitely big roosters! The leg coloring would be right too....Not all marans have the leg feathering.

7. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Looks like a partridge rock to me.

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My Wellie was an absolute MONSTER, so if he was hatchery stock, I wouldn't rule them out (he must have been 12lbs). Had to give him away because the hens kind thought that dating him was rather like dating a steam roller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by