what breed was your quietest rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Nov 12, 2009.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i have only two roos, a barred cochin bantam and std RIR, both about 20wks....so anyway, which do you think will be quieter and wat was your quietest roo breed ~pics welcome~ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I also have a bantam barred cochin that was over a year old before he even started to crow. Now he crows more at 4am than he does during the day. Go figure [​IMG]

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Thus far, Silkie. I have two Silkie roos who are absolutely silent. Their brother crows, but quietly, and mostly when humans set foot in his coop.

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    cornish x rock
    really quiet could hardly hear them in the freezer (had 50 of them in there)

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I'd say the Cochin over the RIRed. RIR's are not know for their shyness in all my experiences.

My quietest roo ever was a Black Australorp very easy going and the hens just adored him.

catdaddy

P.S. cw freezer camp around here is quiet also.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    If a rooster does not crow yet, does this mean that he is not capable of fertilizing his girls eggs?

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Have to say the Shamo i recently got, he barely even clucks and when he does it's very quiet, from what i understand it's pretty typical of Oriental Gamefowl.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My silkie roos are both almost 9 months old and one just barely lets out a soft crow once or twice early in the morning.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Partridge Rock....barely crows and really soft when he does.

10. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    wat was your quietest roo breed
    _________
    a dead roo is quietest...LOL

interesting. I don't do roos. I have hens only now.
    in the olden days I had Golden Comet, Red and Black Sexlink roos and some Orphingtons..and honestly, I can not remember how they crowed.

you know I am around farm animals all the time for over 15 years and I can't tell you what they truly sound like anymore...I have tuned them out!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by