What breed? What sex? Do you know???

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by crj, Nov 20, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi,

I have a few questions. I'm wondering the breed of the dark turkey and the white. I would also like to know if you can tell the sex of these birds or at least the dark ones. They could be a cross, I have no idea and neither does the owner. They are six months old. If these pictures aren't good enough I do have a couple more I can post. Definitely more of the parents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture below are the parents

[​IMG]

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    need to see the brest feathers on the bronze (dark ones) that's what they are called, bronze. The 3rd pic is 100% hen, see the buff lacing on the brest feathers, that's how you can easily tell. Toms will be all black on the breast, no lacing, top looks tom to me, mid need to see feathers, the tail and back doesnt tell much other then the breed.
    The white is a hen

3. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Ok, it's good to know they are Bronze. I had a tough time getting pictures of these babies... lol. I only got one from the front. They kept walking away or sneaking around a corner to hide.

[​IMG]

Does this mean a tom??? I didn't know if the color of the waddles (SP?) made a difference like in chickens. In chickens when they are young the comb and waddles are read usually a rooster if pale and small a hen. Does it work the same for a turkey? Turkeys just have so much bumps and stuff on there head and face I don't know what to think.... haha.

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    In your first set of pictures, you have one of the parents. Because your white bird is as large as the bronzes and has long legs, I'd go with white holland. The midget whites should be smaller. Belstvilles have shorter legs. Your second picture of the bronze head-on is a hen because the breast feathers are lines with white or buff, as Boggy described.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thanks for your help. I'm going to look at the turkeys and see if they have a tom. I just love them. I don't know why... I think it's the sounds they make and I love when they are all puffed up strutting. Very cool. They seem to make decent pets and they have no problems with chickens. Which is a really good thing.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:the new pic is a hen, note the breast lacing, toms are all black

7. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    In the first set of pictures in the last one with three, the one in the back, it's snood is short and fat it's legs are also thicker then the other two. I would lean towards a tom for this one. If the feathers have a iridescent green color as you walk around, it then most likely it's a bronze.

Tom

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yes, but that's the parents pics, yes the male is on the right, female on the left, also note the inch long spurs on the one on the right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by