What breed? White Cornish? Asils? Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kikster, Nov 8, 2009.

1. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    I just got these ladies this weekend from birdlover, and she wasn't sure what they were. Originally she thought they were rocks, but as they grew into their adult bodies, she thought that maybe they could be Asils (or Aseel ?) , and when we picked them up from her yesterday, she mentioned that a friend thought they were Cornish? Could anyone help us out here?

These are all the pics we've been able to get so far:

Here she's the one laying down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Just based on those photos, I would say Cornish. It's hard when they are lying down. Asils look like slender, upright Cornish. Does she stand very upright or is her carriage lower and more horizontal?

Here is the link to Feathersite's Asil page so you can see what I mean about how vertical they stand.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Asil/BRKAsil.html

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Certainly looks Cornish to me. They sure look nice and healthy. [​IMG]

4. kikster

Jul 7, 2009
    Quote:Yes, this is why I asked, because I looked at that page a few days ago, and thought the same thing. These don't seem to stand as upright as Asil's do. See how, in the last couple of pics, they kinda balance their weight a bit more all over (horizontally) unlike most game breeds.

Sooo, cornish, hmmm.... we weren't really looking for meaty breeds (which is why we offered originally, when she thought they were rocks), but, oh well. They needed a good home, so we'll see how it goes, I guess.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    They look like white cornish to me, but that's not the same thing as a cornish X (which is also white). The cornish X is only a meat chicken, while the white cornish hens can be kept for eggs if you like [/b]- they will not get too heavy for their legs like the meaty cornish crosses.

6. kikster

Jul 7, 2009
    Oooh, yay! I'm glad you made that specification for me, I assumed they were the same, which scared me cuz I would like some eggs, w/o worrying about them eventually getting too big for their britches (literally). They were from a bantam assortment from Mcmurrays, so I should have also mentioned that they are bantam. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm glad to hear that they will produce some eggs for us.

7. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    Deffinately Cornish!!!

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have an almost 8 month old Cornish Rock who has been giving me eggs for a couple of months now. She has been on a restricted diet since she was 3 weeks old and she is quite sturdy on her legs. Even runs once in a while! [​IMG]

Kikster, those are pretty birds... the white one doesn't look as chunky as my girl, so hopefully she isn't a Cornish X.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  9. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    hello
    this chickens look just like mine so
    i would have to say they are white
    rock bantams [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Pure Cornish are very nice to have. She'll make a nice hen for you.

And I don't think she is a Rock. The back and tail are wrong. I still say Cornish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by