1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed will they be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jungleexplorer, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    This is a different question for people that have advanced knowledge in chicken genetics. I have a rooster I want to mate with three different types of hens. My rooster is a BBRed American Game (AG). I have 2 BBRed AG Hens, 2 Wheaten AG hens and 2 Brown Red AG Hens. If I mate my BBRed rooster with all three of these types of AG hens, what you the offspring from each type of hen be called? I have pictures if you need to see them. Thanks!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They wouldn't be called anything. They'd be mixed colors. You can cross in different colors if you want to improve something in your line, but then you'll have to work on getting out the unwanted extra genetics for a few generations.

For example: Say your BB Reds are a good size, and your Brown Reds aren't. You don't have any other way to get good quality Brown Reds (Which would be much more advisable than crossing in a different color, but that's not what we're discussing). So you cross in your best BB Red to get the size gene in, then work with the resulting chicks to get the Brown Red color back under control.

It's not like mixed drinks or crayons. You can't combine and melt colors to get new ones unless you know the genetics intimately, and have a specific aim (IE diluting black to get blues.)

3. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Why is that? I also have Cubalayas, and the roosters are BBRed and the hens are Wheaten. When you breed them, you get BBRed males and Wheaten females. Why would they same not be true for American Games?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by