What breed would be best?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OwlLover, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Campine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maran

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Acona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    So I'm ordering some new chicks tomorrow morning. I'm torn between campines, marans, and aconas as the final breed. I'm looking for one that lays the best, is the friendliest, and can stand cold temperatures very well.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cold temps? Get Faverolles or Ameraucanas.

Out of the three you listed, Marans are by far the friendliest. The other two are flighty in my opinion.

3. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    I already am getting some faverolles in that order and I'll be buying an Ameraucanas from a breeder in a week when I bring my polish to him so that she can be fertilized by another polish rooster. I'll be sure to check marans out = )

4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I am not sure about campines or anconas, but we raise Marans and I think they are very gentle, friendly birds. I have yet for a rooster to confront me. They are also a hefty bird that does well in cold weather apart from the rooster's comb which you may have to watch for frostbite. As long as you have a place for him to get out of the weather, you should be okay. I hope you find what you are looking for.

5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I just did a blogpost about this! Whatever you get, you'll want more and different later on :) As far as worrying about cold weather - any of the "cold hardy" breeds will do. I don't keep roos, so I don't have their large combs to worry about, but I have regular-sized combs (like on RIRs) and I can tell you that in years when we had 2 weeks of below zero degree weather, that I never had a problem. If you coop is dry and well ventilated and they can get out of wind and wet they'll be fine. (This isn't true for less robust breeds, like silkies.)
    For my opinionated take on what to think about when selecting breeds, go here: http://www.hencam.com/henblog/2012/01/choosing-chicken-breeds-right-for-you/

6. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    Okay. Thanks everyone = ) I already have 3 roosters and they need more hens, so I might be getting more than 1 maran.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by