What breed would I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gvnam, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    What breed or what would the off spring look like if I would breed my Production Red rooster with a Black Star hen? PICTURES ARE WELCOME! [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You won't get a "breed". You will get a barnyard mutt. I suspect you would have a pretty decent change of getting a good egg layer.

3. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    Anyone with pictures? I couldn't find ANYTHING on this mixture!

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:all you will get are good laying mutts. they could come out looking like a black with alot of red leakage on his chest from the columbian gene from their red sex links..

5. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    Ok, thankyou! The farmer behind my house wants to get some chickens and take my rooster so no one can complain. He said he wants a few chickens including roosters. Said he wants to put them behind a few of the trouble making neighbors homes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I was thinking I could breed some for him since he won't need him until the spring or so. I have a RIR rooster (Production Red) and some hens of the same breed. Then I have some black star chicks that will be mature in the spring or so. I was just interested in what the offspring of my roo and one of them would look like.

The farmer passes by my house everyday checking on his horses. He said he enjoys watching them. Any suggestions on some good laying breeds? He is figuring on freeranging them in one of his empty pastures. He wants me to take care of them.

6. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Considering the black star maybe developed by breeding a RIR or a NH amd a barred hen the results of the breeding back to a RIR/NH roo should enhance the parent genes with increased vigor??? Juct my mind awondering alittle. Genetics is very interesting in chickens. [​IMG]

7. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    I'm really interested and excited to see what they will turn out to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by