What breed would you order?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Nov 4, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So I *thought* I knew what I wanted but now I'm getting impatient and am second guessing myself. Would you get the Metzer Hybrid Layer or a Khaki Campbell? Eggs are a big factor and I am limited to 4 ducks total due to space. I know for sure I am getting a Cayuga, Blue Swedish and a Welsh Harlequin. Since eggs are important and the gals will be pets I was thinking the hybrid layer would be a sure things but that means I need to wait till spring or I can order now and go with a KC [​IMG] I also don't know how I feel about developed breeds when there are several standard breeds that could use some help. This really should not be this hard! To top if off the breed that I really want is a Magpie instead of the KC or Layer but Ideal only sells them in the spring and I can't just order 1. Why is this so hard and why can't I just pick?

2. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm open to other breeds too.. maybe a runner? Okay, I'll stop now.

3. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    If I were u I would just wait and get what u really want it'll be better in the long run... I'm not able to answer your questions tho lol I'm a beginner too

4. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX

I guess the thing is that the last duck I'm not dead set on what to get. I just want a good layer and I love having a diverse flock. I'm looking at maybe a chocolate runner now. I would just like some first hand knowedge that between the group we will get a good amount of eggs. Right now we got through 15 dozen chicken eggs a month. I plan to add about 3 chickens to our flock in the spring to help with eggs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    I guess.just research what ducks are the best egg layers ... my ducks haven't.started laying eggs yet.so idk

6. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My runners are excellent layers. Even at 4 years old, they still lay lots.
    What other qualities do you want besides good egg layers?

8. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I was looking for variety and pets. I just placed my order with Metzer and I went with a Cayuga, Blue Runner, Welsh Harlequin and a white layer. I figured we should get plenty of eggs and only the runner will be our "nervous" duck. I really wish I could just get one of everything since each duck is unique but we are a few years away from our land dream.

9. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I <3 call ducks, they make THE best pets! ...But you want a good layer, so I guess that's wishful thinking. [​IMG]

10. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    my neighbors may not like me too much with a loud call [​IMG] They are super cute though! I also want them like yesterday, so I settled for a white layers instead of the golden. I'm also not allowed to have a house duck and for good reason. I have 2 little boys that make more than enough of a mess and I can't wait for the 1 to be out of diapers, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by