What breed would you recommend? I was thinking about karst sheperd

Skyle

Fluffy feathered feet addicted
Premium Feather Member
Apr 11, 2020
Between Italy and Slovenia
Hi everyone.
I'm planning to move the chickens in a new area, which may have a bit more predators than here. I already have a dog but she's too small and soon she will be even too old to protect the chickens.
I still have to see if I'll need a flock guardian dog or not, but I'm doing lots of research just in case.
I searched through flock protectors and I saw that there is a breed native from where I live, the Karst Sheperd. It's not so diffused though. Does somebody have a dog of this breed? What do tou think?
I don't want a too large dog, not more than a german sheperd, because I want to be able to pick it up if there's the need.
I don't think this request is possible because I know that herding dogs must have even a little prey drive, but flock guardians must have no prey drive. Though, if this breed will be even able to help me if I need to herd the flock it would be a great thing.
I'll be able to take it for a walk for an hour or maybe more everyday, but it will be able to roam as much as it wants in the big garden/property were I'll have the chickens.
I'll be obviously willing to take it to puppy and socializing classes, to avoid comportamental problems.
Another thing is that I'm searching for a intelligent and obedient dog, I know that this can change from dog to dog, but many times the breed can take into count.
Most of the days I'll work for 6-8 hours, then I'll have all the time to dedicate to the dog.
Thanks to everyone in advance

Wow, abrupt turn about lol.

Since you're in a position to not have to choose from overbred inbred Americanized dogs you should explore what's available to you.
My new dog was not bred in north America and the experience of raising her has been like nothing any other dog was able to offer.

The Hungarian Mudi would fit what you are looking for effortlessly.
There are more to choose from as well.

Thank you!
I like Aussies so much. I didn't knew they could do "farm-tending" as well, I though they were just for herding😁
You could also look into English Shepherds as a more all around breed too 😊 but I you like Aussies and have the time to exercise and train them properly, they could definitely work!! I wasn’t sure if you did hence my other post. They do require a lot of mental stimulation and exercise as they’re very intelligent, active dogs. I’m also not sure how they would do being alone for so long. You may need to hire a dog walker or come home at lunch or something. But they’re great dogs but definitely have needs

They don’t really fit the other requirements though and would have too much energy I think. Especially to be left alone for so long. But I don’t think an LGD breed is the right fit either especially if they’re wanting an obedient dog 😂

They can be trained but tend to be very stubborn. Also quite large. Maybe an English Shepherd or Scotch Collie/farm collie type. They’re calmer than Aussies and Border Collies and more of an all around farm type dog but idk if they are in OP’s country.

OP… are you wanting it to live with the chickens full time or be more of an inside pet that can also protect them/not chase them? If the latter, really any breed would fit as long as you train it and I would actually recommend against most guardian breeds as I would think that would be too much dog for your situation.

What I would do instead is research several breeds you’re interested in, not worrying about the chicken part, like just as a pet, and choose one of those. Unless you are wanting it to live full time out there and I am misunderstanding??? But even inside pets tend to help keep predators away especially if they’re outside a lot. Do you have a lot of land or?
I sometimes see here and there few Scotch Collies, there are some breeders. I have yet to see an English Sheperd, probably it's not even bred here.

About the dog living with the chickens...
Since the chickens will not be where I live, I'd like to take the dog there everyday as I feed, water and spend time with the flock. If needed I'd like to have the possibility to leave the dog there during the day to check on the chickens (if there's a daytime predator danger) and it will come home with me for the night (I'll build predator proof coops and runs, but I'd prefer to let roam the chickens and I can't make all the property predator proof, unfortunately). Then, as I said, as soon as I'll return home I'll spend the time with the dog (as I already do with the dog I already have).
As you said, I was worried about the dog chasing the chickens or not doing anything if a predator get in (yes, I know a person who has 3 dogs, all shepherds of different breeds, they like to watch at the fox chasing and killing the chickens without doing anything)
The land is not very big, like half acre or less. Here you can't anyways have more than 49 chickens for family productions, so that will big enough for themthem (they now have half that area and we still have to mow the lawn)

Well, not real farm tending. ;)

Though, they’re very intelligent, so I’m sure they can be trained to help around. But I did mean checking on the chickens. 😅
Yes, I got that. English it's not my main language and was the first time I saw that word, so I did't knew other similar words that may be more adequate😂😂 I'm sorry

You could also look into English Shepherds as a more all around breed too 😊 but I you like Aussies and have the time to exercise and train them properly, they could definitely work!! I wasn’t sure if you did hence my other post. They do require a lot of mental stimulation and exercise as they’re very intelligent, active dogs. I’m also not sure how they would do being alone for so long. You may need to hire a dog walker or come home at lunch or something. But they’re great dogs but definitely have needs
Yes, I like them a lot but I also know they are a very demanding breed. I know I'm away for a bit long, but I need to work if I want to afford my animals😅
I want as much as possible the physical and mental health for my animals, so if I'm not able to support all the needs of a breed, I won't get it

Wow, abrupt turn about lol.

Since you're in a position to not have to choose from overbred inbred Americanized dogs you should explore what's available to you.
My new dog was not bred in north America and the experience of raising her has been like nothing any other dog was able to offer.

The Hungarian Mudi would fit what you are looking for effortlessly.
There are more to choose from as well.
Never heard of that breed, I'll do some researches on it. Thank you😁
I'm doing lots of researches to see what breeds fit with my needs and, most important, if I can afford their needs. I'm open to all the suggestions though

I sometimes see here and there few Scotch Collies, there are some breeders. I have yet to see an English Sheperd, probably it's not even bred here.

About the dog living with the chickens...
Since the chickens will not be where I live, I'd like to take the dog there everyday as I feed, water and spend time with the flock. If needed I'd like to have the possibility to leave the dog there during the day to check on the chickens (if there's a daytime predator danger) and it will come home with me for the night (I'll build predator proof coops and runs, but I'd prefer to let roam the chickens and I can't make all the property predator proof, unfortunately). Then, as I said, as soon as I'll return home I'll spend the time with the dog (as I already do with the dog I already have).
As you said, I was worried about the dog chasing the chickens or not doing anything if a predator get in (yes, I know a person who has 3 dogs, all shepherds of different breeds, they like to watch at the fox chasing and killing the chickens without doing anything)
The land is not very big, like half acre or less. Here you can't anyways have more than 49 chickens for family productions, so that will big enough for themthem (they now have half that area and we still have to mow the lawn)

Yes, I got that. English it's not my main language and was the first time I saw that word, so I did't knew other similar words that may be more adequate😂😂 I'm sorry

Yes, I like them a lot but I also know they are a very demanding breed. I know I'm away for a bit long, but I need to work if I want to afford my animals😅
I want as much as possible the physical and mental health for my animals, so if I'm not able to support all the needs of a breed, I won't get it
I think that might be a bit small for a full time LGD as they like to roam so I’d probably look more into a pet breed maybe although none of them would really be able
To be left alone with out a lot of training. And that’s smart and kind of you that you’re considering the needs first because far too many people just get what they want without considering the animal’s needs.

A livestock guardian dog protects what he is bonded to. I don't know if a dog can or will bond to chickens. Something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom