What breed would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rosiesgirls, Nov 19, 2016.

1. rosiesgirls

rosiesgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    Broadalbin/Perth
    I have been raising chickens for a few years now but am interested in getting some ducklings next spring. We have 4 acres and a pond, so there's no issue with crowding. I have some particular characteristics I'm looking for and am interested to hear people's thoughts.

First and foremost, we have wild ducks and geese (only about 5 or 6 of each) that fly in from time to time so I want to get ducks that won't fly off with them (but am really not a fan of runner ducks). I'm also wondering if the wild birds pose any sort of threat to domestic ones (diseases, physical harm).

Secondly, I really like the small breeds but have heard that Call ducks are noisy. Will they really be noisier than my flock of 18 hens and a rooster? If so, what other breeds would you recommend. I'd really prefer colorful plumage over pure white (not sure why...)

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Any of the heavier breeds will be fine....Welsh, Buff, and Saxony come to mind.....They get to heavy to fly off....Anytime domestic animals and wild animals mix, their is some risk of disease....A guy I know keeps all his Ducks on a pond all summer and Mallards and Geese land in for a swim and a free meal of grains...His Ducks never seem to be bothered by them....

Cheers!

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    X2
    Even khaki campbells are good, they dont fly very well

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    You can always clip a wing so they can not fly off. In my book, if it can quack it will be loud. My ducks are louder than my chickens. It gets annoying at times because they will just sit there and quack, quack quack. I think they like hearing themselves or something, lol. I now prefer Muscovy because of this. The girls coo and the males kind of hiss. They come in a variety of colors but small they are not. Males can get up to 15lbs. Adult females have a body about the size of a football. I do not clip wings so mine do fly. We do have wild ducks that come in for the winter. I'm not worried about them flying off. They know where their food comes from. Good luck with whichever you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by