What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ubitmoosie, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ubitmoosie

ubitmoosie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Los Angeles
    What breed is this? Looks like she's a red star but she rarely lays[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. ubitmoosie

Sep 30, 2015
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG] here is one of her eggs

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You have a Red Sex Link. She should be a great layer, so she probably has another issue affecting her production, like molting, stress, old age, or a problem with her productive tract.

4. ubitmoosie

Sep 30, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thanks! Well stress shouldn't be a problem... She has like an acre to roam!! She is with people all day and she is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!! She lets you pick her up with no hesitation and gets along with the other hens great (like 38 others) However I do notice when she lays once in a blue moon sometimes she will make a sort of squawking sound every couple of minutes. She is very active like the other hens and does all regular behavior the other girls do. I see her drink plenty of water (good cause im in Southern California) and eats regularly. All vegan organic grain. Please don't tell me she is sick D; and if she is please tell me how to help her D:

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old is she?

6. ubitmoosie

Sep 30, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Sadly I do not know. I just read a few min ago that probiotics can help them, should I consider it?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Where did you get her? And how long have you had her?
    I'm thinking she is an older hen. Sexlinks tend to really slow down their production once they are over 2 or 3 years old.

8. ubitmoosie

Sep 30, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I do not know where she came from. Actually this is a farm at my school and I know she was hand raised by a student a couple of years ago from an egg. Also, how long do SL hens live for?

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They can live for over 6 years, but they won't be dependable layers after their second winter as adults.

10. ubitmoosie

Sep 30, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I honestly just care that she will live a long happy life c:
    sorry for asking so many questions, im new to BYC... anyway should I consider probiotics? And I have one of her eggs that I successfully drained (actually a good friend helped) and its priceless!!!!! (to me at least)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by