What Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hollyjillcox, Nov 8, 2015.

1. hollyjillcox

hollyjillcox New Egg

Oct 30, 2015
    Shell Knob, MO
    We're trying to identify the two red/gold hens in these pictures. We picked these chickens up yesterday and were told they are Rhode Island Reds but I have my doubts. They are a year and a half old. Thanks for any insight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alex1010

Alex1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Sex-Linked Chickens, Excellent Egg Layers

3. kwhites634

kwhites634 Father Time Premium Member

They're Red Sex-links; the ones in my avatar are the same thing. They frequently have RIR in them, but are crossed onto another breed. They're great light brown egg layers (better than pure RIR's), easy enough to get along with, and eager free-rangers. The first cross of the RIR with whatever other breed is used can be sexed at birth; pullets will be the reddish color, cockerels will be primarily white. Unfortunately, they don't breed true for color in succeeding generations; no telling what color you'll get.

4. hollyjillcox

hollyjillcox New Egg

Oct 30, 2015
    Shell Knob, MO
    Thanks for the responses. I figured probably that or Cinnamon Queens. They were bought at Orschlens as RIRs as chicks. It doesn't matter to me what they are, they're beautiful and we love them. We also have what was supposed to be a Welsummer but she lays green eggs lol.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    FWIW - Cinnamon Queens are Red Sex Links -- that is one of the proprietary names that they are sold under as each hatchery has their own "blend" of red over silver that they stick cutsie names on since Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, etc sound more exotic that "red sex link".

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like your "Welsummer" is actually an Easter egger. Folks often confuse the two because they can be identical in feather color. Comb, leg color and of course egg color tell the tale, though.

I also see a brown Leghorn hen and probably an Australorp.

7. hollyjillcox

hollyjillcox New Egg

Oct 30, 2015
    Shell Knob, MO

Ahh good to know. Thank you!

8. hollyjillcox

hollyjillcox New Egg

Oct 30, 2015
    Shell Knob, MO

That's the conclusion I came to also, that she is an Easter Egger. Yes, you are correct, a Brown Leghorn and an Australorp too. We have two Brown Leghorns and also have an actual Welsummer lol, a Barred Rock and a Frizzle Cochin rooster. [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    red sex links

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like a nice, colorful egg basket!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by