What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NysiaAnera, Mar 29, 2016.

1. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    I have been looking all over and simply cannot figure it out! I brought home two mystery chicks today, I think just over 2 weeks old. Bantams of some kind, but noone knows what! They were mistakenly included in someone's order at the feed store, and the person returned them upon discovering they were not the same breed as what he ordered. Lucky me for being a customer after! :-D Anyway, they have been moved a lot and are skiddish, so these pictures are the best I could do for now, they just won't let me get my hand anywhere near them. Their underbellies are white, the rest black. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    It might be too early to tell exactly which breed it is without more clues. I would have guessed Australorp but your chicks don't have enough white on them. Minorca might be a possibility.

3. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Yeah, and they are absolutely tiny. I have 9 Australorp chicks too, 3.5 weeks old (1 cute little roo and 8 pullets) and the new ones look like hatchlings in comparison, though they are supposed to be the same age. I am absolutely convinced the little ones are a week younger, only based on their feathers. Here is a picture a little farther back.

[​IMG]

4. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Well, one of the tiny ones didn't make it, but this pretty one did. And surprise, surprise, she is not a bantam! She is the size now of our adult Easter Eggers, and only slightly smaller than the Australorps. 5 months old in these pictures. Pictures of her are SO difficult to get, and she was really fighting to get away when we caught her (which was a miracle, because she usually does not let us get anywhere near that close!). So, anyone know what breed? She is laying small, light brown eggs. My honey has named her "Goldie".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm going to guess she's a black sex link.

1 person likes this.
  6. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    "I will look up the breed. Are they completely black when they hatch?"

Black sex links are a hybrid, a mix of a red rooster (like a RIR) and a barred hen (such as a barred rock). They often have some yellow on their chest/belly but I've seen pics of completely black ones too. Since they are a hybrid, they aren't always consistent. Should be a great layer!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Black Sex-link

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    black sex link

9. NysiaAnera