1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Triplecross, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I have a cuckoo Marans rooster and a Barred Rock hen. This chick is what hatched out?! The CM is from a breeder but the BR is a Tractor Supply kind, so no telling what's in her background. But I'm scratching my head at this chicks markings.

I wonder what it's from?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Your picture didn't work, you may want to repost it :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    no photo

4. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pics of the parents?

Are you sure in your heart those are the parents?

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you assigning maternity to the BR hen because she sat/hatched the eggs or because you know, for a fact, that she layed the egg this chick came from? Unless she is the only hen in your coop or the only one that lays the color eggs she incubated it is unlikely that she is biological "mother" of all of the chicks that she hatched. Hens will "donate" eggs to a clutch being built, including during the incubation period while the broody hen is setting....the broody will happily incubate anything she can get under her, with no regard to who it came from.....this often leads to confusion when the chicks hatch.

7. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I think I discovered the problem. My barred rock hen is not laying the standard egg color for her breed. I have been collecting and labeling the very light brown eggs BR and the regular brown eggs NH for my new Hampshires.
    I'm guessing that the BR is laying a brown egg that looks like my NH eggs and one of my NH hens is laying light brown egg that I believed was my BR eggs!
    So when the chicks hatched I was confused why there was red fuzz on a BRx[​IMG]CM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by