What Breed?

bridgetcanfly

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
Hervey Bay
Hi all, I bought a week old chick from our local chicken farm and she convinced me to get a Barnevelder instead saying they were beautiful laced hens, friendly for my son and good layers.

Now my hen is 3 1/2 months old and looks nothing like the photos of a Barn and isn't friendly at all (despite being handraised, all the other breeds I got at the same time are extremely friendly and docile), so what would she actually be and should I be upset at being convinced of a different breed then sold the wrong one?

Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated :)

Last edited:
They are skiddish flighty birds, so that explains why she's not friendly. She should lay better than a barnevelder, so that's a plus

I'd still let the seller know. Tell her to join BYC and learn about breeds so she doesn't misrepresent what she is selling.

Yep, definitely a Brown Leghorn and pullet too. Like @oldhenlikesdogs said, Leghorns are known to be skittish birds, but she should be a very good layer. Sorry that happened to you by the way. :(

I took her back and they apologised saying they'd never had this problem before and offered me a similar aged barnevelder from their pullet stock.

Thanks all for the replies, really helpful and much appreciated :)

Did you pick one out? I like my barnevelder, their beautiful coloration can only be fully appreciated in person.

No I didn't choose, she just gave me an option from their pullets which were Polish, Belgian and Wyandotte or an actual Barnevelder pullet and I said I'd like to have a Barnie. She kept my Leghorn and boxed me up a 10 week old, this is what she looks like:

The only problem is she's so small compared to my other hens (my others were much bigger at 10 weeks but perhaps its just the breed?) they tried to attack her and she can't free range with them cause she just gets through the fence, so now she's living on her own and I'm not a fan of keeping any girl on her own :(

She's also hysterically scared of me cause they don't handraise any of their hens :(

Back
Top Bottom