What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mininut, Dec 16, 2016.

1. mininut

mininut New Egg

Dec 16, 2016
    La Vernia Texas
    Hello, I'm new here. I'm live inthe country on a lot of acreage off of a dirt road so it's not uncommon for people to drop their animals out here.. two days ago we found five chicks at our gate, they are the size of a full-grown Bantam but they're still chirping so we know their babies. 3 are white with brown and or black spots and two are brownish red. They are super sweet, and we have posted notices in the whole community that we have found them but no one has come forward. They are safe and sound in our hen house,and I have them with black Giants, Rhode Island Reds, americana's, cuckoo Marans and blue cochins. I am really curious as to what their breed is if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated[​IMG]

2. mininut

mininut New Egg

Dec 16, 2016
    La Vernia Texas
    Here is another picture[​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

someone dumped a batch of mixed breed cockerels on you. Mixed enough no specific breed stands out. Probably about 3 months old.

4. mininut

mininut New Egg

Dec 16, 2016
    La Vernia Texas

I am totally okay with having them here, however I'm curious about the breed on whether they are layers or are they meat chickens. Are these going to be like typical boilers and go through a bag of feed in two days?

5. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    They look like they are red sexlinks, therefore, they are layers and the red ones are hens and the white ones are Roos. Are they all either red or white with rusty spots? ( oops just saw where you said what colors they are)RSLs are pretty common, so it's likely that they are RSLs, although known by many names( cinnamon queen, golden comet...). They are great layers and in my experience, pretty sweet. The one I have right now follows me around often when I'm in the coop or run.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. mininut

mininut New Egg

Dec 16, 2016
    La Vernia Texas
    These 5 follow me around like they are household Pets. One was injured and not able to walk when we rescued them but is doing much better today

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're not broilers, they're egg or dual purpose birds. Really not able to pinpoint breeds involved. Quite likely mixes of mixes.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Probably about 8 weeks old. The whites with red look like male red sexlinks. The black and gold ones might be Asian Blacks. All cockerels. They are dual-purpose types, not meaties, but you're not going to get any eggs from them.

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    No eggs from these boys. They make nice smaller meat birds when grown. Look like crossbreds to me.

10. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by