what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kaki1, May 25, 2019.

1. Kaki1

Kaki1 In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    This chick is about two weeks old, and I have no idea what it is. The green, feathered feet make me think maybe it's some kind of mix?

Attached Files:

2. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Probably Ameraucana or Easter egger mix

3. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Can't see the comb very well, and it is a very young bird, would like to know how many toes, might be EE/Ameraucana with some Brahma, but only saying that because of the feathered feet and the rather husky appearance of this bird. Perhaps you can share where you got this chick, what else was there at the time, also better pics of the top of the head and comb area. Anyway, it is a good-looking chick.

Leahs Coop likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Very likely a crossbred. If its a pullet "to young to say" and she lays tinted eggs then she would be considered an Easter Egger.

featheredplanets likes this.
  5. Kaki1

Kaki1 In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    I got the chick at school during an embryology unit, so the egg came from a small farm. The teacher said that she's had ameraucanas (I got another chick that I'm pretty sure is an ameraucana so it makes sense) in the past, but she wasn't sure of any breeds this year. He (i have a hunch it's a roo) has four toes, and I attached a photo of his head at about three weeks. thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

BreanneRN likes this.
  6. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Well, if from an embryology class, did you perhaps see the egg, maybe, before it hatched? I am wondering what color it was? Also, size of the egg could be a clue. Oddly, for a big chicken, Brahmas lay a smaller egg of light brown to cream color. It could be a clue. Right now, I am still going with Easter Egger/Ameraucana Brahma cross. Can't say what variety of Brahma (they come in dark, buff, and light) but EE's/Ameraucana's come in every color in the chicken rainbow... But it is a beautiful bird and should have a nice disposition, I am going to take a guess that you might have a hen based on the markings on the head, but it is just a guess (and I've been wrong before!). It is really too soon to tell for sure, but by 6 weeks you can usually tell. If by that time, the comb has grown and reddened significantly it is probably a rooster. But, I still think it is going to be a big hen...

Leahs Coop likes this.
  7. Kaki1

Kaki1 In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    Unfortunately im not sure which egg it came from, but most of them were light brown and small. As for the sex, the chick has a very similar personality (very energetic, trying to make itself look bigger, etc.) as my roos in the past. The tail feathers it has right now point straight up too, which could be an indicator. Hopefully it ends up as a pullet though because my city doesn't allow roosters and we would have to relocate him.
    More feathers have come in the past few days and it's looking like it'll be a beautiful bird! The photo attached (sorry for the terrible quality) is three and a half weeks.

Attached Files:

BreanneRN likes this.
  8. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Well, light brown and smaller would be consistent with Brahma, though the comb may not be consistent with an EE/Brahma cross, which should produce a pea type comb, but it may be too early to see exactly what type of comb this bird will have. If it has a single comb, and you should know by 6 weeks, I am going to say maybe a partridge cochin parent along with the EE/Ameraucana parent. That would be consistent with the small, light brown egg, and large, husky build of this bird, and yes, I think whatever sex it will be beautiful! Brahmas and Cochins are both large, slow developing and maturing breeds that seem to eat an awful lot on the way to maturity, but they are so sweet and nice, I don't really mind. Hope you can continue to update through 6 weeks when we can jump to better conclusions as to sex and type of cross (with those greenish legs, EE/Ameraucana almost certainly part of the combination). Also, the fact that almost everyone has a EE or Ameraucana or 2 make that parentage more likely. My EE's are the free range flock, which I like to have to keep down the bugs and eat what spills and is left over from feeding other animals. They roost in the trees! We had a bad windstorm in January of this year with 50 to 60 mph winds and I worried about the EE's in the tree, but though the tree and branches were tossing and turning like a ship on an angry sea, the EE's clung like barnacles to their branches. Should have worried more about the trees... Took out 2 of them...

9. Kaki1

Kaki1 In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    Oh no!! Luckily they were all okay!
    Here's an (almost) four week update: Daquan (my friend named him) has feathered out very nicely. I love the black and gold feather contrast! You can't see it well in these photos, but his tail has puffed up a lot and sticks straight up. The comb is still practically nonexistent, but it's looking like it might be a pea comb. The past few days, he's been instigating fights with all the other chicks, hackles up and all. They only last a second and nobody has gotten hurt, but he even squared up to one of my big buff orpingtons!
    He also seems like he's become very close friends with one of the other chicks, Noodle, who I think might be an Ameraucana. They're inseparable and always have to rearrange the roost to be next to each other. In the second pic you can see them basking in the sun together.

Attached Files:

10. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    No worries, didn't take out the tree the EE's roost in, but several dead hybrid poplars that apparently the roots rotted out. They died when the well failed several years ago, but I had been trying to kill those trees for years before that finally killed them. They had invaded my water pipes which they were planted over and under my phone lines, which was a major mistake of the previous owner... So glad they are gone, will never take out my phone line and water again! Well we will know for sure as to the sex of your bird in a few weeks, so far no reddening in the comb, which is the early sign of a cockerel. If that doesn't happen by 6 weeks, you most likely have an alpha pullet... I like the coloring too, very typical of EE hens, by the way. A very beautiful bird. It is said that birds of a feather flock together, so maybe that is why the bond with Noodle (does she have the same hatching project origin?). Look forward to another update in a week or so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: