What Breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shezadandy, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I bought chicks for a broody, so I wasn't too worried about breed, just finding babies little enough for momma hen. I was told these two were Silver Laced Wyandottes-
    but based on other SLW pictures/videos it doesn't seem right … so I'm looking to find out what they are.

P1280749 (2).JPG P1280757 (2).JPG P1280762 (2).JPG

2. cluckcluckhens

cluckcluckhens Songster

May 4, 2015
    PNW
    Those are not SLW. I have a SLW and does not look anything like yours. Mine has more Silver in the feathers. These look like a mix between a SLW and an Australorp. I have both of these breeds.

Hopefully someone else can tell you what breed these are.

EggWalrus likes this.
  3. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Not sure what they are. Ain't no dang telling! But they are pretty even if the turn out to be mutts.
    :love

4. cluckcluckhens

cluckcluckhens Songster

May 4, 2015
    PNW
    Here is what our Silver Hen looks like. When she was a chick she had more silver than yours does right now.

DSCF5542-1.JPG

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Those are not slw. Were they from a hatchery, store or private seller?

Shezadandy likes this.
  6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    They were from Wilco, which I think orders from Welp Hatchery - their chick breed pictures match those on Wilco's website anyways - I just went through Welp's entire catalog and didn't find anything that matched- that's not to say that's who Wilco still uses.

They were jet black as chicks and just started showing the white pattern- they've got the beetle green/purple showing through and their legs and undersides of the feet are black. Friendly little things, very smart. Their two 'sisters' are Australorps - I don't think these were in the same bin. It could be an age difference thing, but they're both bigger than the Australorps.

I was more focused on finding littles small enough for momma hen to accept and raise (she did)- having had GLWs I should have been more suspicious that the SLWs would start off jet black (obviously they don't) when I asked.

7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I have no problem with mutts! Maybe one of the hatchery breeding roos was naughty and jumped into a different pen of hens. These girlies are cute, calm and friendly, despite having been raised by a broody with little handling - so partially I want to know what they are so I can look for them again.

FowlWitch and EggWalrus like this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    They look like the black dual purpose/broiler types being marketed as Asian black, etc. And the additional information (size, etc) support that......

9. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Interesting! Time will tell - they're definitely growing faster. No sign of being cockerels yet though- so I may actually get girls. With any luck they'll live up to the laying end of being a dual purpose bird. They've been just as active as their Australorp sisters, exploring all over the place. Next time I visit Wilco I'll have to keep an eye out. They sometimes have breeds they don't list on their website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: