What breed?

Virgie87

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2022
Hey all! Got 4 babies a couple months back, and I’m positive one is a roo and will be going to a sanctuary in the coming weeks. I was told the two white ones are Millie’s but the two darker ones came from a “assorted” mix of bantams. I was told they were all pullets (including the roo that I was sure was a roo when the seller basically forced him on me), and I was just curious what you guys thought the breed of these guys are, and if you see any other suspects for rooness in these pictures. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7283.jpeg
    IMG_7283.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7280.jpeg
    IMG_7280.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7279.jpeg
    IMG_7279.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7278.jpeg
    IMG_7278.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7275.jpeg
    IMG_7275.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7274.jpeg
    IMG_7274.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7269.jpeg
    IMG_7269.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7268.jpeg
    IMG_7268.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 2
First two picks are of a Golden Sebright. Next three show a booted bantam, the next two an OEGB and the last two are of a booted bantam cockerel

What does OEGB stand for? Old English Game Bird? And thank you for your thorough and quick response! Anything I should know about any of these breeds? I have 5 bantams already, an Easter egger, a crested polish, a mottled Cochin, a frizzle Cochin and a Millie Fleur D’Uccle.

Yes, almost. OEGB stands for Old English Game Bantam. There's nothing really unique you should know about their care, since you already own breeds with feathered legs there will be no surprises there as well. Good luck!

Where did these come from, TSC?

I agree that the first is a Golden Sebright.

Second one and last one are most likely Porcelain d'Uccles that didn't inherit the bearding gene, depending on where you got them. Technically, they're not the same as Booted bantams, but most people consider the clean-faced d'Uccles to be Booteds anyway.

Third bird is more likely a Dutch bantam with those slate legs. OEGBs of that variety should have white legs.

The only male is the obvious one that you're aware of already. 🙂

Second one and last one are most likely Porcelain d'Uccles that didn't inherit the bearding gene, depending on where you got them. Technically, they're not the same as Booted bantams, but most people consider the clean-faced d'Uccles to be Booteds anyway.

Third bird is more likely a Dutch bantam with those slate legs. OEGBs of that variety should have white legs.

Does TSC carry Dutch bantams?

They came from a local shop near me, that I found out later has some serious sketchyness associated with it. They sold me 4 “pullets” and three right off the bat I knew were roo’s and he assured me “unless they crow or lay an egg you won’t know for sure”, which is a crock. He allowed me to return 2 of the roo’s and even though I knew the 3rd roo was a roo just my looking at him, he wouldn’t take him back. I can’t have Roos in my county unfortunately.

Does TSC carry Dutch bantams?

One of the hatcheries TSC commonly orders through does.

They came from a local shop near me, that I found out later has some serious sketchyness associated with it. They sold me 4 “pullets” and three right off the bat I knew were roo’s and he assured me “unless they crow or lay an egg you won’t know for sure”, which is a crock. He allowed me to return 2 of the roo’s and even though I knew the 3rd roo was a roo just my looking at him, he wouldn’t take him back. I can’t have Roos in my county unfortunately.

Oof, that's too bad. Do you have any idea of who supplies their chicks? If no, then my post above is my best guess at their breeds. I'm sorry you can't keep any cockerels, but the good news is that you do have at least three pullets there. 🙂

Oof, that's too bad. Do you have any idea of who supplies their chicks? If no, then my post above is my best guess at their breeds. I'm sorry you can't keep any cockerels, but the good news is that you do have at least three pullets there. 🙂

Not a clue. Long story short, the man who used to own the business had other people run it for him while he was dealing with a family issue, and these people allegedly just took control of the business, and changed the name. He’s been posting about it online for months. The whole thing is very strange.

Back
Top Bottom