What Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I posted a while ago about these but they're a little more feathered in now so MAYBE we can tell what they are or might be! They are straight run & I can already see a couple possible Roo's in the bunch but I am not too worried about sexes right now.

Their legs/feet are black-colored. They are standard-sized chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What color are their soles? White? Pink? Yellow?

They have single combs, yes?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yes, single combs & their soles are yellow/orange. & you can kinda see it in the pics.. they all have beards too. I am clueless!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ah, so I wasn't just imagining that. . .

I'd say they're either purebred Ameraucanas (congrats) or something else. . . Perhaps mutts (maybe Easter Eggers)

Is there any hint of green in their legs/feet? Any hint of pink?

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I would LOVE for them to be Ameraucanas, but, don't Ameraucanas have pea combs? Their 'comb base' is kinda wide though so maybe they'll grow more, into small pea combs?

Their toes do have a bit of a green hue to them but they're half yellow also.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG] I feel so stupid. I of course saw and read and even asked about the single combs, and yet I mentioned a pea combed breed.

Then, I don't know. I'd suspect them to be mutts, honestly. There's no muffed/beard black breed with a single comb that is LF and clean shanked. . .

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Hopefully they'll be good egg layign mutts, lol.

Any guesses on the cross? with the beards they would have to have some EE/Ameraucana, right?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I wouldn't think so. To get a single comb from a pea combed bird, you'd need to work on it for at least 3 generations. Also, Easter Eggers can indeed have single combs, but I've yet to ever see a hatchery based EE come in black.

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

There were a TON of these babies that came through when I bought this batch so maybe someone was working on something, but of course I will never know since i dunno who sold em, lol.

10. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    They look a lot like my black copper marans chicks, I'm not sure what the leg coloration on BCM chicks is, but otherwise they match.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by