What breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RebeccaReid, May 7, 2011.

1. RebeccaReid

RebeccaReid New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Hi everyone!

Okay, guys, I need some help here. I'm overwhelmed with the number of chickie breeds! I want a sweet, docile type that tolerates bittter winters and hot as heck summers (I live in Indiana) and might actually get along with my dogs. [​IMG]

They will have a place to roam, but it certainly will not be huge. I have looked at all the breed comparison charts, but I would love personal recommendations!

[​IMG]

Rebecca

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    EE or cochins

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Barred Plymouth Rocks. From what I've read, they fit your needs. They are hardy, lay well, and mine are SO sweet. They sing to me like a bird. lol

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I'm in Colorado and my 3 EEs did awesome during the winter. Speckled Sussex are suppost to do well (I bought one a few months ago). She is the chillest chicken I've ever seen! And so far her comb has stayed small so that bodes well. [​IMG] Good luck choosing. There are just so many possibilities!

5. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    We have silver sebrights, cochin bantams and black stars in northern Minnesota. All did great and laid right through the winter.

6. foreverdavis

foreverdavis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I was looking for same traits--I went with Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, and Brahma. I haven't got them yet though, so I don't know if that was good choice. I was going to get Dominique also, but couldn't get them in the same shipment.

7. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I wanted similar traits. I have a huge variety, but I was originally going to get barred rock, easter eggers, and silver laced wyandottes or buff orpingtons. I can say for sure, considering what I have right now that my barred rock are the sweetest and the easter eggers seem to be the most temperamental. My buff orpingtons are pretty little still so I cannot really tell yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by