What breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by efinley, Nov 29, 2011.

1. efinley

efinley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Ok, so I know it's a mixed breed...or I guess it is. I got them from an elementary school student who hatched chicks in their classroom.
    I don't have them any more....stupid hawks. [​IMG] Hawks eat all my chickens so I can't get more and I WANT CHICKENS!!!!

Please let me know what breed(s) they could be. Thanks!!

Here they are as babies. The male is the smaller one (left).
    [​IMG]

This is him (Jefferson) all grown up
    [​IMG]

The hen (Wilma) is the black one on the perch...sorry it's a bad pic. I don't have another. She was solid black except he neck which had some brown speckled on it. She had feathered feet. (Jeff did not)
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this helps, but they were cute so I'm sharing [​IMG]
    The next 2 pictures are his babies...the mothers were bantys (you can see some in the pic with Wilma)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any guesses....I just always wanted to know what they were; especially Jefferson, bacause he was a very pretty rooster! [​IMG]

2. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    ok so I am kinda new to this but look up dark brama on line I think that is your roo and I think the reed is a Rhode island red, remember I am knew to this so I would back up my guess by looking online, the red may be a sex link too just depends. I have a rhode island red her name is baby she is a love, her eggs are kinda long not oval or round. just guesses.

I am sorry you lost them good luck...

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your roo looks like an Easter Egger, are his legs green? And your hen looks like some kind of Cochin mix. Cute!

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the hen looks just like my french black copper marans.

does the roo have a tail or is he rumpless?

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    If they were hatched in a classroom, they're probably mixes. I agree that the male was probably some degree of Easter Egger but the female could be a number of things. Think of them like a good cup of coffee- a blend!

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    What color egg did the hen lay? Might be a black copper marans or cochin mix. The rooster looks like a silver laced something cross, I have a hen then looks kind of like him, she is a silver laced wyandotte/austrolorp mix

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    The color names are: Gold Birchen (Wilma) and Silver-Spangled (Jefferson).

8. efinley

efinley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Quote:not really green...just dark colored greyish...

Quote:he had the most pathetic rooster tail EVER...it was a couple long feathers that looked like they were trying their hardest to be an awesome tail and epicly failed [​IMG]

Quote:they were a greenish blue, if I remember correctly

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    He was probly an araucana with a partial tail or an araucana/something mix.
    She was possibly a araucana mixed with maybe a cochin, since they came from the same place.

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Jefferson looks like he might have been a silver spangled Hamburg cross (maybe with Araucana) and Wilma looks like she was a Cochin cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by