1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 19, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So my sister told me ahead of time that she is getting me a goose egg for my birth day to hatch [​IMG] so now im stuck on what breed to get! Either a american, or a pilgrim. Which one? Can they be hatched with duck eggs and raised with ducklings? can it be put under a broody? Who here breeds ice lavender, or blue ameican geese, and pilgrims??

Also if you breed these two breeds and are selling eggs in spring email my mom at [email protected] [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I realize with it being a gift, it may not be appropriate to ask for more, but more than one egg would be better or you will need to raise it with ducklings, waterfowl are social animals and if you don't have anything to raise with it, a gosling will imprint to you as its mother and worry itself to death when you aren't around. So it will definitly need gosling or duckling companions. And yes a broody would always be better than a bator and you can set the eggs together, just set the ducks a bit behind so they will hatch at the same time.

The breed would be your call though.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah, I would never get my hopes up with one egg. Or one goose- they really need other geese.

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i dont know anything about Geese but if it was me i would go for the more colourful and more intresting one [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I got a PM from a lady today who is sending me 6 free pilgrim eggs from her two pairs, so im hopeing to get at leased two goslings from the hatch.

Sad thing is I will only be able to keep 8 ducks if I keep two geese and my 6 chickens I wish to keep. [​IMG] but thats ok, ive been acking to get pilgrims for a while [​IMG]

6. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    Congrats on your pilgrim eggs. Do post pictures when they're hatched!

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I will. But they dont get here till spring. [​IMG] that was me and my moms deal...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by