What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kmksmommy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kmksmommy

kmksmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    SW Virginia
    Woohoo, I got surprise chicks!! Hubby came home with 4 BRs, 2 "red pullets" my son bought and a bunch Ameraucanas (breed of the week @ TSC)... However, two of them are different, no muffs or beards like the others. Can anyone id this chick?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a bunch!!

2. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    still looks like a ameracauna to me.. ? maybe really poor muffs/beard on that one ? ( ameracaunas are often actually just ees .. so maybe a ee .. )

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Any "Ameraucanas" that you purchased at the feed store are Easter Eggers. They sell them as Ameraucanas, but they are not. That looks like a typical EE to me.

4. kmksmommy

kmksmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    SW Virginia
    So you're saying Mt.Healthy's Ameraucanas are not? This one does not at all look like the others sold as Ameraucanas. Every other chick I've gotten through them has been what it was claimed to be, I assumed this one got stuck into the wrong bin.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Ameraucanas can only be purchased from a breeder. Anything from a feed store comes from a hatchery. Hatcheries only sell Easter Eggers even though they claim they are Ameraucanas. So, yes, I am saying that wherever you got those chicks from is just another place mislabeling their chicks. It is actually quite common. I bought my six chicks from a local feed store and I thought I was getting Ameraucanas, but when I came here to BYC, I found out I got Easter Eggers. My girls are now all laying and I love them even though they are not what I was led to believe when I bought them. EEs are great and everyone I have shown them to comments on how pretty they all are. And, since they are all slightly different from each other I can easily tell them apart. =)

7. Cackle Hatchery has Ameraucaunas. I questioned them on it. They said the birds in the pictures are the birds they have and they were Ameraucaunas. So I ordered some and have them. I'm watching for tail growth and they definitely all have beards!

8. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate to be the one to tell you first but Cackle's "Ameraucanas" are in fact Easter Eggers.

I've gotten at least 20 from them.All have been very nice Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by