What Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Countrymama719, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Countrymama719

Countrymama719 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, In
    These two guys came to our farm in hopes of getting our girls to start laying. (We got our girls as chicks in April 2011 and up until a week ago, hadn't seen an egg!) Anyways they did their job and now egg production is growing quickly! Curious what these two guys are and if you know what sort of chicks I would get if I hatched any of the eggs. I believe my girls are black and golden sex links and new hampshires. Thank you so much!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Looks like they may have some delaware in them. Maybe Del/SLW crosses? Their combs look single - are they? Good looking boys regardless, and congrats on the eggs! :)

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree, some sort of Delaware cross. Very handsome. :)

4. Countrymama719

May 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, In
    thanks! [​IMG] they are very good roosters, and have yet to be aggressive with my toddler so I'm loving them.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    They could possibly be light Sussex.

6. Countrymama719

May 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, In
    I just googled light sussex and that fits too. They have the very light colored feet. maybe a cross between the two?

7. lorrie

lorrie New Egg

Apr 25, 2012
    this isn't so much about breed as it is curiousity- i recently purchased 7 laying hens about 10 months old and the farmer threw in the rooster that was with them i have raised many hogs and beef but chickens not so much! the neighbor who my husbands thinks knows just about everything told us that our hens won't lay as well with the rooster around- i have searched for the answer to this with no luck, and i know less about computers then chickens so i'm getting desperate! can anyone help?

8. Countrymama719

May 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, In
    I don't think that's true. Not that I've noticed anyways, I have 11 hens and average 8-9 eggs a day. Maybe if the rooster to hen ratio is too high and is stressing your hens out? I haven't had a problem with it though, every one free ranges and funny enough the roosters hang out most of the day together. \

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by