What breed ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Apyl, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Of the chicks I have I am keeping all the girls and 2 boys. One of the boys is a White Cochin and the other is a mystery to me. I chose to keep this guy because he has warmed up to me and will come to me when I go into the chicken run and coop. So tonight we decided to name him Buckbeak and now I'm wondering what he is :) He was originally purchased to me a meat bird but he won me over. He came from the Fry Pan special from Meyer Hatchery.

So any guesses to what breed he is ? Oh and he's 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry this last one id blurry I was trying to get a pic of his comb coming in. Also he has a white stipe across his beak.
    [​IMG]

2. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Does anyone have an idea, pretty please.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Buff Orpington roo?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

x2

5. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Thank you :) I was having a hard time . I had found 4 different Buff colored roo's on the Meyer website and couldnt decide which is may be.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    When a chick is buff colored that's always the first guess. But I'm not so sure. One thing, from the pictures, the legs look like they could be yellow but that might just be the picture. If they are, and the bottom of his feet are yellow, then he's not a BO. Something about the look of his cere (nostrils) doesn't quite jive either.

7. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Yes he has yellow legs, as far as I know the bottoms of his feet and legs are all the same color.

8. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Could he be a Golden Buff ? After galanie pointed out the color of his legs I relooked at Meyers website and it looks like the Golden Buff has yellow legs. He does seem to have some white on him, I just wasnt sure if it was still from the baby fuzz or not.

Also known as Golden Comet, Golden Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, and Red Star. This Hybrid strain is a leader in the brown egg market and is by far the most popular bird we sell. Customers favor this bird for its large eggs and quiet temperament. These birds are sex-Linked, which means the sex of the chicks can be determined by their color when they hatch. Mature hens have a soft buff- red color and roosters are white with darker wing, neck and tail feathers.
    [​IMG]

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'm not familiar with that sex link male but I don't think it is. Jersey Giant maybe? Or Buff Rock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by