what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Oakieridge, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    I asked this over on the Okie thread so sorry if you are getting a repeat of this. We bought a dozen chicks at auction last month. The chicks are now 3 1/2 weeks old. They all looked the same at the time we bought them but slowly over the last 2 weeks we have notice this little one not growing as fast. Feathering at the same rate just not growing at the same rate. We had to remove it from his/her siblings because now they are at least 3 times his size and were running over him. I worried he would get hurt. So we put him in with our 1 week old chicks. His barring is not white like the others. He/she looks like the barring is brownish/rust color instead. Anyone got a guess on what this little chick is? He/she is now 3 1/2 weeks old and just a tad bigger than one week old marans chicks. Eating and drinking fine and otherwise healthy.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    He could be a Sex-link, here's a photo of one, you can see the rust color on the neck.
    [​IMG]

3. Oakieridge

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    Yeah I guess he/she could be a sexlink but I have some sexlink chicks and none of those show their rust until they are older. But it could be. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if it were a female sexlink, lol.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    lol! I had a Sex-Link roo, and all his baby life he had just one rusty bar, and when he grew up the same too. It can vary.

5. Oakieridge

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    I am hoping this is a pullet but either way we will keep it, I just for the life of me can't figure out what it is so small compared to the others. We have one full grown sexlink we love, that is why we got the barred rocks so we can breed our own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by