What Breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shannybell, Oct 2, 2012.

1. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    She was in a pen with EE's on the farm where we got her and her EE "sisters" but she really doesn't look like one at all now. She doesn't have the fluffy cheeks like my other EE's. She's about 6 months old and hasn't started laying yet. I'm just wondering what color her eggs will be. Her body feathers are iridescent like my black stars. Some are even laced with brown. Her legs are two-toned. Is she a mutt?

~Shannon
    [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

95% chance that her eggs will be brown.

I would still say she is an EE. They come in all shapes/sizes and colours. This girl is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen! Wow. I just adore her colours. I like her shape as well. She looks very healthy!

I'd say she has a while to go before laying by the looks of her face.

3. aoxa

By the way, EEs are mutts by definition, as are black stars. :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. shannybell

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    Thank you for the kinds words about my Roxie! I wish I could say she's a sweetie, but she's not LOL... Not mean, just not sweet like some of mine either :)

I completely understand about EE's and Black Stars being mutts... didn't even think about that when I was writing that! I guess I wasn't categorizing them as mutts because we generally know the two breeds that make them up. Still a mutt, right? :)

So if you think that she may still be an EE, can I still hold out the slightest bit a hope for a pastel egg?? [​IMG] I just figured since she didn't have the fluffy cheeks like my other EE's that she had gotten put in the wrong pen! She's also much larger bodied (more like my Black Stars) than my EE's who are already laying.

Thanks for talking chickens with me :)

5. aoxa

It's the comb that lowers your chances, not the beard/muffs.

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    What ever else that hen has in her, and she does have other things, she is part wyandotte or cochin. Body shape, size, lacing. She looks more like wyandotte but the single comb seems wrong. likely has some EE also with the head color.

7. shannybell

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    Thank you all for the good information. Makes me want to definitely go learn more about combs! I know very little about them and they are so interesting. I have a young leghorn hen whose comb has gotten so big that it's now completely laying over on her head. She looks rooish LOL.

8. aoxa

[​IMG]

This is a good picture showing the types of combs :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  9. jed2012

jed2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    she looks exactly like my black sex link, kate! i say shes a bsl. but then again... idk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by