what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heby, Feb 5, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have a guess as to the breed of this hen & why her comb falls over? We were given around 10 hens & some have floppy combs & some dont. I have another hen that looks almost identical to this one but has a smaller comb that doesnt flap. Thanks for your help.

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Meby a RIR mix....

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    x2

4. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    What does x2 mean? Sorry I'm a novice at chickens. Also do u know why her comb would be hanging & flops so far over?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2 basically means I agree with the post above me. Like saying ditto.

Some hens just have big floppy combs. Usually it's seen in larger combed breeds like leghorns, Andalusians, etc. it's not really common in red birds, and she really doesn't look like she has any leghorn blood in her. She looks like a hatchery Rhode Island red or a production red, which is basically a hatchery generic red bird who lays up a storm but isn't exactly a Rhode Island or a New Hampshire.

And she's a girl, large comb or not! Actually, a floppy comp is usually a sign of a hen, roosters combs stand up straight no matter how huge they get.

She's a pretty, healthy looking hen!

6. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Gotcha. Thank you. I have 10 hens & have no idea what any of them are. They are all good layers it seems. How do u know if they have leghorn in them? I have 3 young hens that are what I call roadrunners cause hats what they look like. Small oval bodies & long legs. I was told they may be game hens but im not sure what that means. Also a beautiful small solid white hen. She is short but best one of them all. Very friendly. I'm trying to learn more & read lots. I love my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by