what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by floridatrains, Dec 25, 2013.

1. floridatrains

floridatrains Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    St. Augustine, FL
    [​IMG]

2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    The bird in the far back looks like a brown Leghorn. She'll lay you some lovely white eggs.
    The bird in the front looks like a black star, or more commonly known as black sexlink. She'll lay big brown eggs.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. floridatrains

Mar 20, 2012
    St. Augustine, FL
    Forgot to mention these are about nine months old so assume there bantys.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They don't look like bantams to me. I agree the one in the back is a brown leghorn, the front bird could be a black sex link or a black copper Marans, it's hard to tell them apart at times.

Looking again, the back bird may not be a leghorn, her comb isn't near as big as I'd expect from a 9 month old pullet, her legs look dark, not yellow. She may be a mix, or ?

And you didn't ask but my free Christmas advice.....

If you put that waterer up on some bricks or 2x4s or something, it will keep the shavings out of it. Raise it up a good 4-6 inches off the ground. Do the same with the feeder and you'll waste a lot less feed.

If that cage is where those birds live, it's awful small. Overcrowding can lead to lots of behaviors like pecking, poor laying, things like that.

1 person likes this.
  5. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Hi! Happy Holidays!

Both of your hens are banties, right? (Just can't tell from the photo.) Do they both lay small, creamy white eggs?

[​IMG]

This banty above is one of our Old English Game Bantams (Black Breasted Red), notice she does not have the white earlobe that your gray hen has, but is similar in type. I believe your back, gray girl (...only assuming she's a banty- hard to tell from the photos) due to her white earlobe may be a Dutch Bantam.

If her tail is growing long, it is possible she might be a young Phoenix, but the tail would still be growing in. If she's a standard sized bird, she's likely a brown leghorn.

The black girl in front (...again only assuming she's a banty- hard for me to tell from the photos) may possibly be an Old English Game Bantam, Brown Breasted Red variety, since it looks like she may have clean, slate legs. She does not have the white earlobe of Dutch bantams.

Assuming that the dark hen is actually standard sized, and lays dark eggs, she may possibly be a mixed French Black Chocolate Marans as she has clean legs.

Good luck, and Happy Holidays!

1 person likes this.
  6. floridatrains

Mar 20, 2012
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yes just got them I have a very protective full size RIR and want to slowly introduce them thanks for your help...

7. x2

8. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    How much in size do they compare with your full grown RIR?

9. floridatrains

Mar 20, 2012
    St. Augustine, FL
    A third of the size

10. sandovaljose214

sandovaljose214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2013
    first black sex link

second banty

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.