1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amyfitz100, Mar 4, 2014.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    I purchased these pullets from a local chicken farmer I have used before. He called the first three Ameraucanas, but when I bought others from him before, I was told on here they are EEs. He said the fourth one is a Black Java (she is beautiful!). Do any of them look close to laying? And I am SO happy they all have integrated so easily with my other hen and roo! Also, the second one has no tail. Weird, but I just liked her anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, all of them look like pullets close to lay...maybe a couple of weeks more, but soon.

First and third look like EE's to me as they don't follow the strict guidelines for Ameraucanas for colors or conformation. (http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html ) Also, the blue one has no beard/muff; and the wheaten colored one has green legs (at least in photo).

Second bird...likely an EE too as the taillessness (rumpless) would likely come from being bred to Araucana. (An EE is a hybrid of any breed with either Ameraucana or Araucana.) However I can't see the bird well enough to make a certain guess as to its breed. However, it is not an Araucana or Ameraucana as it does not meet either breeds color standards, and it does not have ear tufts (Araucana) nor beard and muff (Ameraucana) and it does not have a pea comb.
    ( http://www.araucana.net/Araucana_standard_guidelines.htm)

I would conclude that these birds are the offspring of EE's bred to EE's, which is why so many of the standard traits are missing.

Not familiar with Black Javas, so can't say with any certainty. Looks big and black, glossy green feathers, no feathered feet...yah, could be a Black Java. I'll step aside to those better educated on that breed.

You indicated that you have gotten them very recently? (unless I misread that...if so sorry for my advice that follows if you've already done all this).

Do keep a close watch on these new birds. While I'm glad they integrated well with your flock as to temperament issues, it is always best to isolate new birds from your existing flock for at least 2 weeks (a month is better) as it can take that long for disease and parasite issues to become apparent.

Isolation means a coop that is separate from all contact with your bids, at least 100 feet, downwind, with no fence to fence runs.

I know this from personal experience....I bought a coveted bird but did not have proper isolation (the isolation coop was too close to the free range) and she passed Infectious Bronchitis on the wind to my whole flock. Hard lesson learned as I lost one bird and had to cull another, had 2 weeks of sick birds to care for and loss of eggs for another 6 weeks.

Even though they came from the same farm, it is always good to practice strict isolation as farmers selling birds can often miss a mild case of something....and just as your kid caught the flu from the other kid at class...many diseases, especially viral, are most contagious BEFORE they show symptoms.

Wishing you much success with your new birds.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by