What breed??!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KardashiHENS, Jul 29, 2014.

1. KardashiHENS

KardashiHENS In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Ok so this is my lovely hen, Popeye! She recently disappeared over night im thinking bc of a cat or raccoon :( anyways she was an absolute sweetheart, she would follow me everywhere, she didnt care for any of the other chickens and she loved being pet and spoiled. She also LOVED to sit on her eggs ( even though she had no rooster). I was told her mother was a silkie im not sure. Anyone have a guess of what cross she may be??? [​IMG]

2. KardashiHENS

Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Also, i dont know if this will help but heres a baby pic[​IMG]

3. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    How many toes did she have?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's a beautiful hen! I don't know what breed(s) are in there, but I don't see any silkie. It takes a lot of breeding to get rid of the non-straight comb, crest and beard, plus the feathered legs.

5. KardashiHENS

Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX
    WildWestChick, she had 4 toes which was why i was a bit suspicious about the mom being a silkie.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  6. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    I agree with donrae, a silkie may have brooded and hatched her...but there is no silkie blood in that chicken unless it is waaaay back in her lineage. Silkies have some pretty dominant traits..pea/walnut comb, 5 toes, feathered feet, black skin(and muscle, and bone too) and the fluffy hair-like feathers...non of which this hen has. So I'm not sure of her lineage (other than no silkie) but she is very pretty!

I hope that helps!!! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: