What breeder/hatchery is best?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by KauAnnie, Jul 14, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I am planning to buy 5 more chicks to go along with my 2 silkies and EE but I dont know what online place to order from and before making a mistake Id like to ask you guys.

I want to order online because its cheaper. . . so I think haha [​IMG] Is it cheaper? I live in Hawaii, so would I get charged a whole lot extra for shipping and fees?

Also, Im afraid to open a box up of dead chicks or in a few weeks have a chick pass. Plus, my younger brother wouldnt be too happy to see that either (he cried when I ate a chicken quesidilla, very sensitive. Maybe because hes 7?)

So any success? Failures? Thank you so much!!

Our local breeders have chicks ranging from $5-$25 per chick. Ive really looked at the $5 places and I am not too interested in their breeds(i.e. leghorns because they are "aggressive".)

Thanks again [​IMG]

2. nickrex98

nickrex98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    georgia
    the meyer hatchery is a really good place to order from i order some black australorps from them and they are doing excellent

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Cackle Hatchery in Missouri.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:X 2
    I love Cackle
    all the birds I have gotten from them have been very healthy and alert right out of the box

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Seeing as how you're in Hawaii, I'd look locally.

6. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have bought all my birds locally and I am so pleased I didn't order from a hatchery. Just because I can go look at the birds and see what I'm getting and not have to wait (maybe I'm a little impatient).

Not to say anything bad about the hatcheries.

7. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Thanks!

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Leghorns arent really aggressive. Thats like saying that all blonde people are stupid! Every bird, just like every person, has its own personality. I had a leghorn who would hop on my shoulder and snuggle, and another who runs from me when i come within 10 feet.

9. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Thats true, thank you.

10. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    My leghorn pullet is the friendliest chick in my whole bunch. she is the only one who will let me hold her and eats out of my hand. I buy all of my chicks locally too because I like to let the kids pick them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by