What breeds and gender are our new chicks? UPDATED with more pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OCpeep, Jan 25, 2012.

1. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG]

My brother surprised my girls with 4 chicks yesterday. I wasn't planning on getting chicks until next year so I guess we're on the fast track to build/buy a coop NOW. I'm not sure what breeds they are. Can you help?

UPDATE: We have had them for 3 1/2 weeks now, but they could be anywhere from 1-2 weeks older than that. I think they are all of varying ages.

Thanks for looking!

Chick #1 - the biggest/oldest
    [​IMG]

Chick #1 UPDATED
    [​IMG]

Chick #1 back
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 UPDATED
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 back
    [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 UPDATED
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 back

[​IMG]

Chick #4
    [​IMG]

Chick #4 UPDATED
    [​IMG]

Chick #4 back
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    #2 - Looks a bit like an Old English Game chick

#4 - Barred Rock perhaps

3. broodybantam

broodybantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Not so sure but the first might be a sex link like cross, the second looks like a ee, the 3rd looks like a black copper maran, and the 4th will either be barred or black

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    They are cute! No idea what breed but they're adorable. (Not helpful ,I know but that's my two sense.)

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    cents* even. Pretend I know the difference. ;)

6. OCpeep

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for everyone's responses! It'll be interesting to watch the girls grow up. They already seem bigger, and we've only had them for three days!

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    First one may be a Red Production, or something similar.
    Second one is a little EE with the beard and that color.
    Third I have no idea.
    Fourth, well, sorry to break it to you, but it looks like a Barred Rock boy. That big old white spot on the head if it is BR surely indicates a cockerel.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I looked again, and I would say about 90% chance of being a male. Look at how the wing feathers are coming in on the 4 of them. The first 3 are girls since they feather development is quite a bit farther along AND more enongated looking, whereas the last one is less feathered and blocky in the wing. Not bad though if you can keep a roo, he may be good to have for a watch roo. I love how my boys all watch for danger and find goodies for my girls.

9. OCpeep

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Oh no! I was hoping they'd all be girls. If not, we'd have to re-home the roo. I think in our neighborhood, we're allowed to have roosters because there is one down a block or so that we can hear once in awhile. But for the sake of our neighbors, we don't want to have a noise issue.

Since my brother picked them out, I have no idea if they are all different ages. I'm holding out that maybe this one is just younger than the rest, but I'm probably in denial. Sigh.

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i wouldnt go on feathers to tell gender. i had a hen that took forever to get her feathers. and i also had a rooster that did to. so i dont go by feathers. wait another 3 or 4 weeks and post new pics and see what people say

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by