What breeds are Bella & Jacob?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stuck in the Coop, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    Purchased this week from man who bought surplus chicks from local Farm Supply store. He had about 300 birds running in big dirt lot [​IMG] These are supposed to be 6 to 8 months old, but I don't think so. My 13 week pullets are much larger than any of the 5 birds I got.

I've spent 4 days looking at pictures and nothing exactly matches these two.

I am leaning toward Jacob being a Brown Leghorn..but he has white legs [​IMG] most photos show yellow legs on leghorns. His legs are LONG, he reminds me of a gawky teenager. His body is tiny but he is tall.

[​IMG]

another look

[​IMG]

and now Bella - a Welsummer? She has Pencilled feathers on her back which didn't show up very well. She has white ears, is this a defect in hatchery chicks? Her legs are yellow.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance to all who reply [​IMG]

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Not sure about Bella, maybe Jacob is an OEGB?

They might be mixes...maybe his chickens bred? [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they're both brown leghorns. As hatchery stock, sometimes the legs are just the wrong color, just like laced birds aren't always nicely laced. Her white earlobes are the big difference between welsummer and brown leghorn at this age, then later she'll lay white eggs instead of dark brown, and be smaller than a wellie hen.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Brown Leghorns

5. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Where's Edward??

6. Stuck in the Coop

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    Quote:heehee my daughter is Team Jacob [​IMG] she named them.

Both Brown Leghorns [​IMG] love it! Thanks everyone for the help.

7. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    heheheehehe!!!! Just tell Jacob to rip off his shirt and we can tell what or who he is,,,,, and if Bella continues to Act REALLY badly as she keeps trying to swallow her tongue and push her feathers behind her ears than we will be able to tell what she is!!!! SORRY JUST HAD TO ..... [​IMG] . darn why did i read those darn books?

8. Stuck in the Coop

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    As a follow up in case anyone searches brown leghorn with white legs. There are several posts on BYC explaining that the white leg is not desired but does happen and breeders cull the cocks with this trait. I also found information saying the white leg was there from the beginning of breed development but was not preferred so has been bred out of quality birds.

My poor hatchery reject Jacob with his white legs will be loved anyway. I'm not breeding for perfection, just enjoyment and eggs. Thanks again for helping.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree, both of them are brown leghorns. (legs look yellow in the photo)

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both are Brown Leghorns. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by