What breeds are besst for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bizzeeb60, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    We are thinking of getting some chicks strickly to raise for meat but are not real sure which bread is best for this. I have read a little and have heard that Cornish Rocks, and Black/Red Broilers are the best.

Any opinions or suggestions on this? [​IMG]

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    you have to go with a cornish cross. Anything else grows too slow and wastes more feed. I use McMurray cornish roasters, but you can get them anywhere. I tried the super jumbo ones, and they had lots of leg issues, but i tried the ones that the leg problems have been bred out, and i won reserve campion at my fair. Get a cheap turkey starter, and fryers are ready in 6 weeks, roasters are ready when ever you decide they are big eunough, i go 12 weeks. Keep them on a little grass, and they are the best tasting chicken!

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    depending on how much land you have, you can order all males and let them free range for a few months and just start having them for dinner a couple at a time. Male chicks come pretty cheap.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Depends.

How do you plan on keeping them? Free-ranging or in a pen?

What time of year? Cornish Crosses do not do well in heat.

-Kim

5. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Due to the amount of predators (hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes) we have to keep them in a pen. Since I live in Florida, it is hot for most of the year, we do not get any cool temps until February/March in my area.

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I have mine in an 8 by 8 coop with a run. it has been hot and humid, and they have been ok. I have one big fan and one small fan in the coop, and put sections of plywood up for shade (they get morning and evening sun, so i move the boards) I used this plan http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Building+a+Pasture+Shelter.html i used the tarp roof and i put plywwod on half the floor and kennel flooring on the other half. Just to give you on idea how mine are housed. Hope this helps

7. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:You can do a search,there is plenty on this.If you ask this question to 5 people you will probably get 5 different answers.Each breed kinda suits people different.
    If I were you I'd try a handful of each the first year to see what you like the best,then choose what works for you for the future batches. good luck and welcome. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by