What Breeds are best for me??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by doubleatraining, Jul 26, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm planning for my first backyard chickens. They will live in a 32sqft chicken tractor with 2 laying boxes. I'm starting construction this week.

Ideally I want 2 large egg layers and 1 bantam egg layer. I live in NC so we have hot/humid summers and occasional snow in the winter. The past few years the winters have gotten more cold/damp.

Ideas? Suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I like to look at a mixed flock, so I have a few of many different breeds. Buff orps, barred rocks, and New Hampshires are all calm friendly, heat and cold hardy good layers. Many breeds come in both bantam and standard sizes, so you could choose just about any one bantam, although they are more for pets than lots of eggs. Bantams are not always cold and heat hardy either. Some examples of bantam breeds are easter egger, barred rock, millie fleur d'uccle, buff brahma, and silkies.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  4. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Thanks for the information. I'm only going to have 3 hens so I can't get as much variety as I would really like to have. LOL

I really like the barred rocks...now to find a bantam one.....lol

5. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    my pet chicken has them in bantam size.

6. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I am going to try to buy local and not order. I would rather not raise chicks.

7. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    oh ok

8. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Quote:Does somebody want to explain Chicken Math to her? I'm just learning about it myself as I jumped from 3 to 9 fairly quickly..... [​IMG]

Best of luck with your little flock!

9. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    LOL I understand chicken math but smallish yard + close neighbors + rented property + 1 chicken tractor = 3 hens

10. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Try getting a buff orpington. [​IMG] They are good layers, great moms, cold hardy, okay with heat, friendly, and pretty. They also come in bantam size, so it's a win win. [​IMG] There are plenty of threads about orpingtons, even one for bantam orpingtons. You might want to check them out. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by